Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

w7 freezes constantly software programs (not responding)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bsoddumps

bsoddumps

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:47 PM

First of all, if this subforum is not the correct one, let me know so that I can change it.

Despite the many posts about the same issue, I haven’t found any ‘how to post about’ post for this type of problem, so I think it’s better to attach the following and wait to see if some expertise offers some guidelines.

I inherited the laptop recently, so I do not know when this really started to happen.

I’ve reinstalled windows twice and stop the ‘windows update’ for updates make the system freeze even more constantly.

Thank you so much in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by bsoddumps, 19 October 2016 - 01:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

I'll take a look at the dump file. However, If you have reinstalled Windows 7, then you're probably plagued by the the svhost netsvcs running at 100% issue that had been fix long ago when Windows 7 was still being supported. Now with a fresh install you have no update patches and fixes. It wouldn't be so bad for a Windows 7 machine that is still running good and got all the patches up to the last support day January 13, 2015. This is why I really stressed and put out there that people need to make a clone of their HD. If that is the case, you may still be able to remedy some of the issues in the steps Here killing the netsvcs and applying kb patches manually still floating around on the net just by doing a kb# search. That article back in the day was basically the routine you had to go through to kill the dysfunctional netsvcs & update IE and download a fixit or KB patch. Another issue could be that you have svhost malware basically doing the same thing. If that is the case, then Download rkill run it and Download Malwarebytes & scan your system.

Edited by technonymous, 20 October 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

I checked your zipped files and there is no dump file included. You have little system memory you should consider getting more memory if your laptop can be upgraded. I noticed you have many Chrome things open eating up memory. Remember each time you open a new tab that is increasing memory usage a lot. Typically 100mb or more.

As for the dump file not being included, you might have system virtual memory paging turned off or set to low. Go to start and run type sysdm.cpl (enter) navigate to....advanced tab, performance settings, advanced, change button. Click on C drive and check the top box let windows automatically control. Click save.

Open sysdm.cpl again go to advanced tab, "startup and recovery" settings, set to small memory dump, uncheck box automatic restart, click save. Now reboot the system and wait for the next time your system crashes and it should generate a BSOD dump file. Once a BSOD happens go through the steps again to create a sysnativefilecollectionapp.zip

#4 bsoddumps

bsoddumps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

You have little system memory you should consider getting more memory if your laptop can be upgraded.

Hi again,

I want to add ram memory, because 2gm is definitely not enough today, yet I do not know what is the best option I have, since I do not want to spend too much.

Since the Memory tab originated by CPU-Z reads it’s single channel but having two slots (if I am mistaken, please let me know), does that mean the memory controller of my motherboard is single-channeled? If so, could I simply add another stick of ram in the second slot? There’s an old laptop around home from which I might maybe get that additional stick of memory.

Thank you so much in advance for your patience with me.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:47 PM

It says single channel because your laptop only has one 2GB memory module installed. Your laptop actually has 2 memory banks. Looking up the the information it says that your Acer Aspire 5742 laptop can support up to 8GB max memory, PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 204pin SDRAM SODIMM. I recommend you max it out and buy a kit that has 2x4GB modules and replace just the one 2GB.

The usual places I buy memory from and they are both same prices..

Amazon

Newegg

#6 bsoddumps

bsoddumps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

Your laptop actually has 2 memory banks

support up to 8GB max memory, PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 204pin SDRAM SODIMM.

First of all, thank you for replying.

I'd like to know where it says that the laptop has 2 memory banks and up to 8GB.

Furthermore, could you explain what the data in bold means PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 204pin SDRAM SODIMM.

Thank you in advance.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

It is the exact type of memory your laptop uses and if you're looking to buy memory those are the specs you generally need to know. Wikipedia

#8 bsoddumps

bsoddumps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

It is the exact type of memory your laptop uses

Hi again,

I cannot find, or perhaps I cannot identify, such data in the analysis carried out by CPU-z. If it is not specified there, where can I normally find such type of info. about a laptop?

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:33 PM

The information that I gathered was from the synativefilecollectionapp.zip (sysinfo). In there it gives the information type/model of the laptop, Acer Aspire 5742. With that info I researched on internet to find the special technical details of the laptop. You should verify it though by getting model/serial numbers on the bottom of the laptop. Then go to Acer..Here

#10 bsoddumps

bsoddumps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:05 AM

It says single channel because your laptop only has one 2GB memory module installed.

Hi again,

First of all, I want to say thank you for your patience.

Could I just add another 2gb memory module (1x2), so that I have 4mg double channel altogether? If so, what would be the characteristics/features that that new memory bar must have? 

Thank you so much in advance.

Edited by bsoddumps, 24 October 2016 - 04:12 AM.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

You could buy 2gb module, but you run the risk of having problems with mismatch memory. This is why they sell in pairs. If the timings are different then it causes one bank of memory to interleave. It just has to be type: pc3-8500 DDR3-1066mhz 240pin. They come as 2g, 4g, 8g. The lower the CAS timing the better.

The link I posted is only $43 for 2x4GB. That is a really good deal. Corsair brand CAS 7 You can't get any better than that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233081

Edited by technonymous, 24 October 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#12 bsoddumps

bsoddumps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:19 AM

It just has to be type: pc3-8500 DDR3-1066mhz 240pin.

Hi technonymous, 

First of all, thank you for being patient with me one again. I have a couple of issues

1) I have noticed that my laptop constantly reaches 100% of highest active time in the resource monitor. Does this issue result from the scant ram memory?

Attached File  resource monitor.PNG   50.82KB   0 downloads

Attached File  resource monitor.PNG   50.82KB   0 downloads

2) I have realized I might exchange the ram (2x4gb) that I have installed in another laptop that I do not currently use (the only difference that I can see btw. them being in the mainboard, V1.29 vs. V1.13); here are the specs thereof

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   156.17KB   0 downloads

Hope to hear news from you soon.

Thank you so much in advance for your help once again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.PNG   32.96KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.PNG   18.04KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.PNG   17.31KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.PNG   18.39KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  5.PNG   22.83KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  6.PNG   23.14KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  7.PNG   17.15KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  8.PNG   13.27KB   0 downloads

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

It just has to be type: pc3-8500 DDR3-1066mhz 240pin.

Hi technonymous, 

First of all, thank you for being patient with me one again. I have a couple of issues

1) I have noticed that my laptop constantly reaches 100% of highest active time in the resource monitor. Does this issue result from the scant ram memory?

attachicon.gifresource monitor.PNG

attachicon.gifresource monitor.PNG

2) I have realized I might exchange the ram (2x4gb) that I have installed in another laptop that I do not currently use (the only difference that I can see btw. them being in the mainboard, V1.29 vs. V1.13); here are the specs thereof

attachicon.gifSysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

Hope to hear news from you soon.

Thank you so much in advance for your help once again.

1. Yes, having little memory can have adverse effects on the system overall. As memory is used up it will cause the system to page from virtual memory on the HD and in turn cause the cpu to work harder. The more memory you install the more windows will use, but it will level off. You can see in your picture how fast it gets used up, system, winword, chrome etc it all adds up quickly.

2. Just because that memory you want to swap runs at 1.2 or 1.3 @667x2=1333mhz, than 533x2=1066mhz doesn't mean it won't work. Some laptops support a multitude of speed ranges 1066, 1333, 1600 etc. You will just have to try it out. Worst case it won't boot. The system should adjust the speed from 1333 down to 1066 automatically if it needs to. It's ok to down clock memory not over clock it. Overclocking beyond spec is where problems begin. IE: Trying to force 1066mhz ram to run at 1333mhz.

Edited by technonymous, 25 October 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#14 bsoddumps

bsoddumps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:07 AM

It says single channel because your laptop only has one 2GB memory module installed. Your laptop actually has 2 memory banks. Looking up the the information it says that your Acer Aspire 5742 laptop can support up to 8GB max memory, PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 204pin SDRAM SODIMM. I recommend you max it out and buy a kit that has 2x4GB modules and replace just the one 2GB.

Hi Technonymous,

After transferring 2x4GB, it's only recognizing 4GB, and I guess it's perhaps because it's single channel, yet I had understood my laptop (info. in the very first post) could run dual-channel since it has 2 memory banks. Could you confirm this? What can I do? Thank you so much in advance.

Attached File  channel.JPG   42.12KB   0 downloads Attached File  channel2.JPG   49.87KB   0 downloads

Edited by bsoddumps, 11 May 2017 - 05:07 AM.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

In your second pic there the drop down arrow is selected to slot 2 and it shows 4G what does slot 1 show? What is windows reporting? Press ctrl-shift-esc. CPUZ can give false information and doesn't always work on every system. Just as speccy program may report wrong voltages.  Open cmd prompt and type: wmic os get freephysicalmemory /value

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users