Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone known where I can get an R9 280X repaired? Or have something else to try?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 0x6A7232

0x6A7232

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

I bought a used Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X OC (GV-R928XOC-3GD Rev 2) with a 'bad BIOS flash' -- I flashed the correct BIOS, and now it works fine in the BIOS and DOS / text modes, but when Windows or Linux tries to switch to graphics mode, it freezes the computer. Tried a better PSU (650W EVGA instead of 500W EVGA) , then I did an RMA, and Gigabyte told me the previous owner had replaced the thermal paste, voiding the warranty, and possibly damaging the card by using too much (which I verified upon getting the card back, he used way too much).

I cleaned the paste off, and I tried reflowing the solder (oven @ 385 for 8 minutes) -- no difference, BIOS and text remains functional, graphics still freeze the computer.

Where could I send this card to get it tested & repaired? Or is there something else I could try?

Images from Gigabyte below:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

Image links did not work. Google Drive says "something went wrong".

Tried a better PSU (650W EVGA instead of 500W EVGA)

Wattage does not make one PSU better than the other. It's just a different spec.

It sounds like you have done everything that can be done. BIOS/Thermal paste/reflowing the solder is usually the first steps towards fixing a card. Not sure what else a repair shop can do. It kinda sounds like the guy got a defective card and instead of using the warranty then, he repaired it himself...and then violated the warranty in doing so.

#3 0x6A7232

0x6A7232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:37 PM

Image links did not work. Google Drive says "something went wrong".

Tried a better PSU (650W EVGA instead of 500W EVGA)

Wattage does not make one PSU better than the other. It's just a different spec.

It sounds like you have done everything that can be done. BIOS/Thermal paste/reflowing the solder is usually the first steps towards fixing a card. Not sure what else a repair shop can do. It kinda sounds like the guy got a defective card and instead of using the warranty then, he repaired it himself...and then violated the warranty in doing so.

Weird.  I'm using Chrome, and they work for me, even if I open them in an Incognito so that I'm not logged in to Google.  Tested with Firefox and Edge as well (not logged in), still works. :/  If you want I can upload them elsewhere.

Thanks for the response.   :)

EDIT: Oh, and I tried a 'better' PSU because the card calls for a 600W, even though the total system usage according to pcpartspicker would have been ~422W.

Edited by 0x6A7232, 19 October 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

Images now work properly :).  What happened...sometimes happens with posted links, nothing major.

Louis

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

I just looked at those images. Previous owner went way overboard!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users