Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring DELL Inspiron N7010 to factory settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

My DELL Inspiron N7010 is getting old and it's showing it's age. It runs super slow and everything lags. I was hoping that a reformat and fresh Windows install would help a bit, at least until I can get a newer laptop (hopefully soon). I'm running Windows 7 on this machine, which is what it came loaded with. There isn't a restore partition and I don't have any recovery disks. I've read online that you can reinstall Windows from the "Advanced Boot Options" menu but I can't seem to access it. From what I've read online, pressing either <F8> or <Ctrl+F11> during bootup should get me to that menu but neither of them does anything.

Any other options for me to access that menu or to reformat and reinstall Windows on my PC? I don't have any disks, as I said, and I really don't want to try and purchase a new copy of Windows for this guy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

As soon as you power on the computer start tapping F8 and see if you get the Advanced Boot Options. Be sure to back up your data before doing the reset.

#3 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

As I posted, that does not work. I've tried it a dozen times.

#4 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

Oddly enough, while I was looking in the "Manage my PC" utility, I found a partitioned drive called "RECOVERY" that was hidden. I assigned it a drive letter and now it shows in my computer but the folder is empty. I went thru the control panel and tried to find some way to restore my PC thru that but there does not seem to be any way to do it?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

Sorry I was late responding. Some people press the key at the wrong time instead of tapping and that can cause the Advanced Boot Options to not appear. If the Recovery Partition is empty then you will not be able to do a factory reset. In folder options are System Files and Hidden Files set to visible?

Another thing to check for accessing the Advanced Boot Options by tapping F8 is to Right Click Computer > Advanced System Settings in the left pane. Click Settings under Startup and Recovery. Set the time to 15 seconds under Time to list Operating System. Reboot and tap F8. I had an issue with an HP not booting to the Advanced Boot Options and this solved the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users