Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is System Restore essential?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ted45

ted45

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

My System Restore is not working due to a problem with Volume Shadow Copy (Error 0x81000202). I have confirmed that Volume Shadow Copy and the associated services are set to automatic. I have executed a Clean Boot. I have run Check Disk and System File Checker (the result of which could not be loaded in this post, but there were some damaged files that could not be repaired).

There are more tests, see: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system-restore-not-working-windows but I do not understand them and (not being techy) I am reluctant to proceed much further.

Apart from System Restore not working, my laptop is okay, so how essential is it to be fully functional?

Any advise would be welcome.

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2016 - 03:15 PM.
Moved from System Building to Vista - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ted45

ted45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:22 PM

Edit:

I am running Vista on an eight year old Toshiba Sat 

Would Startup Repair in Safe Mode be of any benefit?

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:52 PM

My System Restore is not working .....

I have run Check Disk and System File Checker (the result of which could not be loaded in this post, but there were some damaged files that could not be repaired).

Any advise would be welcome.

You need to improve them and if not any success, is only way to do, it is a clean installation.
These defects does not heal itself, just everything gets worse every day.
Is System Restore essential? It you have to decide itself.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

You can get by without SysRestore if you keep weekly image backups. If, in the event of a major, catastrophic crash and system or partition corruption, SysRestore would not help you anyway. With your current image backup you can restore and be back up and running in a few minutes.

IF you have a restore partition on your hard drive, you can simply re-image your original OS from it. Of course you will lost all data and programs installed, but hopefully you can pull that data off before you do it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 October 2016 - 01:16 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 ted45

ted45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:31 PM

You can get by without SysRestore if you keep weekly image backups. If, in the event of a major, catastrophic crash and system or partition corruption, SysRestore would not help you anyway. With your current image backup you can restore and be back up and running in a few minutes.

Hi ranchand, thanks for your reply. Sounds very feasible. You say WEEKLY backups. That will take up an awful lot of disc space if I kept the backups., Does 'week 2' overide 'week 1' and so on? or would I need to remove the first backup to implement the next?

Looks like we cross posted before your edit. Do you mean something like a factory reset?

Edited by ted45, 19 October 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

I suspect the volume shadow copy has  changed the restore setting in the OS.  With the install disk, a repair is possible and it will replace any missing or modified files and not disturb any files or programs.  Backups can't be overlooked but diligence and a stack of DVDs can go a long way to giving you piece of mind.

#7 ted45

ted45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

I suspect the volume shadow copy has  changed the restore setting in the OS.  With the install disk, a repair is possible and it will replace any missing or modified files and not disturb any files or programs.  Backups can't be overlooked but diligence and a stack of DVDs can go a long way to giving you piece of mind.

The PC did not come with a disc :mellow:

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

That will take up an awful lot of disc space if I kept the backups.

Well, for example, I use Macrium Reflect free edition. Each image created is actually compressed, so you usually can have multiple images saved going back in time. If your backup drive starts to get low on space, just delete the oldest image, or you can have MR do it automatically. The first time you use MR, it will prompt you to create an emergency restore disk so be sure and do that. In addition, each image is searchable, so you can actually boot an image and retrieve any data you have on it at the time you made it. That's really a handy feature.

I have my backup drive on a docking station which is connected via USB cable (it comes with the docking station) to my computer and sits on my desk. I can pop my backup drive (or any other drive) in and out without rebooting the computer. I see that your computer is a laptop so that would be the best way to go. This is a system that you will always use even if you get a new computer down the road.

Re: "factory reset"; that is not the correct term, but I suspect that you are referring to the same thing as a "Restore Partition". This is a separate, hidden partition on your laptop's drive that contains the original image of your operating system, and that image can be accessed by pressing certain key(s) on boot, usually one of the F keys. This way, you can reinstall your complete OS (operating system) and restore your computer back to when it was first purchased. That would take care of any corrupted system files including your restore problems. However, be aware that in so doing, you will loose any and all data, installed programs, browser shortcuts, emails (if you are using a local client email program such as Outlook) on your computer.So it would be necessary to pull anything you want off the computer first and save to a HD, flash drive or burn to DVDs, and make sure that you have the installation files for any programs you added.

Note....if, in the past, you wiped your entire HDD for any reason, that restore partition may be gone, in which case the above will not apply.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 ted45

ted45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

Thank you so much for such an informative and comprehensive reply. ranchand. As I said previously, I am not 'techy' but I have just checked out Macrium Reflect and I think that will be the way to go. Restore Partition would be a very last resort and something that I would be reluctant to attempt.

Thanks again :thumbup2:

Edited by ted45, 19 October 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#10 TheITGUI

TheITGUI

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

I wouldn't say Windows System Restore is 'essential'. For one it's not a backup utility, for that you'd need a disk imager like Macrium Reflect or Drive Cloner. Even if you want to use WSR, there's programs like Comodo Time Machine or RollBack Rx which work a lot better as alternatives to the service.

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

There are a huge number of programs to copy, clone, image and do everything to forestall what some users see as an eventual fault, their hard drive fails.  Difficult for some to tend their unit while it makes a complete backup set of disks.  It's easiest when a new unit, maybe only three 4.5.GB DVD disks, but as you accumulate more files, this number gross, if you make a whole copy, but you use the incremental, it remembers what's been saved already and will only copy files that are new or changed from the original. Adding maybe a new disk every two weeks, maybe less maybe more,   Period of time between incremental additions depends on your importance of those files.  Using multiple hard drives can make it easier, and some will prefer imaging to a portable drive.

#12 ted45

ted45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:06 AM

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions re: backup/copy etc. I intended to take on board ranchand's recommendation to use Macrium Refect. But I now plan to leave things as they are and trust to luck. I have nothing on my computer of any importance, all photos etc are copied on to CD, so I will just run with it and deal with problems if they occur.

This would seem to be the most likely scenario because as I said in my OP, I ran Check Disk and System File Checker but the sfc details were on Notepad and too much to post in the Reply Box. The result of the scan did say that there were missing/corrupt files that could not be repaired so would  it be reasonable to assume Volume Shadow Copy has also been affected?

Edited by ted45, 26 October 2016 - 03:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users