Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update no longer working - CPU at 50%

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sander66

sander66

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hi,

I run into the issue where Windows update is no longer working (keeps searching forever) and the CPU usage is at 50%. I found that others encountered the same issue on this forum. However, it was not clear to me what the solution is.

I had the problem previously in which case a reboot and time seem to have resolved the issue. No longer.

I kept the PC up-to-date so far. However, I had to uninstall two updates to enable a function that MS eliminated.

(KB3185330 and KB3108699.). The feature it disabled: hosting IE inline a Silverlight app within Microsoft Media Center).

Does anyone know how to fix this CPU usage issue? Other than disabling Windows Update?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:57 AM

There seems to be no clear "the solution."

If you review the plethora of topics re Windows Update situations in this forum...you will see that the membership has tried a number of different approaches to resolving WU issues.  I don't see anything that has worked successfully for all...OTOH, several different approaches seem to have been employed by members...with success.

i suggest that you employ the Search mechanism for this forum...use the phrase "Windows Update" as the search string...and review some of those topics and then decide what approaches you may wish to try, following the sequences of events which reflect success.

Louis

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

Here's a suggestion Louis. How about taking some of the solutions and organizing them in a "sticky". It doesn't look like this problem is going away soon.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

I've thought about that...maybe I'll take the time to do that later today or tomorrow.

Louis

Edit:  Done and posted.

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Microsoft just published the official fix for this

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3200747

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

FWIW:  I believe that some of those suggested updates will already be installed...and Windows will tell you during any attempt to install such.  Just click OK and move on to the next one.

Louis

#7 sander66

sander66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:18 PM

FWIW:  I believe that some of those suggested updates will already be installed...and Windows will tell you during any attempt to install such.  Just click OK and move on to the next one.

Louis

Thank you. Indeed, KB3020369 was already installed. KB3172605 fixed my issue.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

Nicer work, congrats on resolving it.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users