Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup software

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:44 AM

Whats the best backup utility out there ?

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

There are many good utilities out there, but after having tested several (some of which left me hanging) I have been using Macrium Reflect free version for several years and it has never failed me yet. I have put it on several client's computers and they are still happy with it. Is it the very best? I don't know. All I know is that it works.

In my experience, they all will create a backup, but the acid test where some fail is when it comes time to restore.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

There are many good utilities out there, but after having tested several (some of which left me hanging) I have been using Macrium Reflect free version for several years and it has never failed me yet. I have put it on several client's computers and they are still happy with it. Is it the very best? I don't know. All I know is that it works.

In my experience, they all will create a backup, but the acid test where some fail is when it comes time to restore.

is this good though ?

http://www.backup-utility.com/

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:14 AM

I have no idea, never used it. As I have said, there are lots out there. It's free, test it out yourself. That's better than letting someone else tell you what he thinks.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

AOMEI (and EaseUs ToDo Backup) are both about as easy to use as Macrium; they seem roughly functionally equivalent; Acronis will have tough sell getting people to pay when there are so many free alternatives....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:23 AM

Disk Imaging & Backup Software:

Disk Imaging & Backup alternatives:

Note: If you have Western Digital hard disks, then you can download Acronis True Image WD Edition Software for free.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

http://www.zoolz.com/ is good

I Love Lamp!

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

re: Acronis

The only experience I had with Acronis was bad; I paid for the full version, and it made great backups. My computer crashed once and corrupted the main partition and was unbootable. I attempted a restore with Acronis and when it actually got to the restore command the whole screen went black. After several attempts I tried contacting Acronis help. The only way was e-mail and after several sends I never got a reply. I went online to the Acronis web page and there were several posts with the same problem asking for help. Nobody from the Acronis staff ever replied to any of them. I spent 3 days in front of my computer with Knoppix distro and finally got my data off, then wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows.

I never will use Acronis again. Ever. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Edited by ranchhand_, 27 October 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#9 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

I also had a bad experience with Acronis about five years ago.  I used it as the backup program for my two computers for many years, and had the paid versions.  Acronis issued an update that knocked out both of my computers.  Like ranchhand_, Acronis Tech Support was unresponsive.  There was a very knowledgeable person on their Forums, who guided me, and many others, as to how to hack the registry and finally get our computers booting and get rid of Acronis.  Ironically, I had to restore an Acronis partition image from before the update to get my computers going, and then hack the registry so that I could successfully uninstall Acronis.

I have never gone near Acronis since.

Just my two cents and personal experience.  This post does not reflect the views of Bleeping Computer or the BC community: just one man's experience.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:18 PM

I've been an Acronis True Image and Disk Director for some years.  I've migrated over to Macrium Reflect and Image for Windows since early this year.  DD has served me well, will keep it active.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 November 2016 - 01:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:27 AM

I use Easeus Todo Backup Free. Works great. You can set it up to do backups automatically.
When needed, you can restore individual files, folders, or your whole system. It's free for home use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users