Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Altered Autoexec.bat And Missing Config.sys

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 davo67

davo67

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

I know that Microsoft says that these two files are not that important anymore, but I just can't let go of the good old "DOS" days when these two files were GODS. My system is an HP Media Center PC and uses the new Windows XP multimedia OS (the exact name escapes me). Recently, I've been spending a lot of time creating DVD's, converting video formats and just seeing what this system will or will not do. Recently, I've been getting emails or viewing websites where a picture has been replaced with a red X inside a square. I had this problem before and it was a simple matter of changing a default in my browser. After investigating THIS incarnation I discoverd that my config.sys file is gone completely and my autoexec.bat file has been altered from the original by a program called "MUVEE" which took out my 'path' statement and everything else that was in it. "MUVEE" is some video editing software that came preinstalled and I no doubt fooled around with it some during one of my video making adventures. When it kidnapped my autoexec.bat file it did not make a backup of it, at least, not one that I can find. I'd love to just put both files back into the C:\ directory like they were before. Any ideas?

t/y

davo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

If you know the date this problem began you can use Windows System Restore to revert your system state to a date that precedes the onset of the problem.

System Restore will not alter any data, but you will have to redo any Windows or other MS updates that were done after the restore date.

To access System Restore:

Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Choose a highlighted date from before the onset of the problem and follow the prompts.

#3 davo67

davo67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:23 PM

T/y Enthusiast. The use of System Restore brings up another problem. It has never worked....ever. The calendar shows that a restore date exists and the program appears to be restoring it and then tells me to pick a different restore point. I've alloted plenty of disk space for the restores, but it has never mattered. Anymore ideas on the autoexec thing? I've searched all the files for a similiar name and date created, but to no avail. In the old days a autoexec.old or autoexec.bak or something would have been automatically created. What about the original backup files? They are supposed to be on my D:\ partition, but are quite hidden.

T/y

Davo

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

What did you use to back them up? The Windows Backup Utility?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:28 PM

Do you have a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center installation disk or just a manufacturer's restore disk?

#6 davo67

davo67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

The OS came preinstalled with instructions on how to back it up. I think it took 2 CD's which I have in my possession.....somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users