Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing processor without formatting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LucasAlmeida

LucasAlmeida

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:25 AM

Hi again, guys

You all have been very helpful, so I thought I could clear this last doubt of mine (after this I'm good for a while =P)

I've been thinking for sometime to replace my processor for a stronger one, since my MoBo datasheet states it can handle... However, I don't plan on changing anything else, only maybe the PSU.

If I perform this upgrade without changing any of the other components, is it possible to do it without having to format the HD and install everything again, like just changing a RAM stick? A vendor told me it's not possible so...

Just hoping.

Thanks again for any possible attention to this question.

Edited by LucasAlmeida, 19 October 2016 - 06:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:22 AM

is it possible to do it without having to format the HD and install everything again

Yes. I do it all the time.

The only situation where you may run into problems is if you replace the motherboard. If you are running an OEM version of Windows (IOW-Windows came pre-installed on the computer), it will detect a new mobo and not certify your version of Windows, but that is an entirely different discussion. But if the mobo is not changed, just changing the CPU will not give you any problems.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 October 2016 - 08:23 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 LucasAlmeida

LucasAlmeida
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

Well, that clears up everything :)

Thank you rachhand, I'll start digging for my phenom x6 now o/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users