Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Crashing with Storage issue - During Gaming

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mals

Mals

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:33 AM

Hey guys, new to the forum and trying to solve a really odd problem. I've got a build that has been running smoothly for a while and over the last month or two I've started getting random crashes during gaming. It will either be an audio-loop frozen screen, or sometimes a brown screen that hangs for a minute then "display driver crashed" and it kicks back in after an alt-tab.

Here is the error I continuously get from Event Viewer. I am trying to figure out how Intel Rapid Storage is affecting it. I tried going to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver and updating my Rapid Storage and it told me my system wasn't compatible with it. I am pretty versed in building my own rigs and seldom have problems I can't solve. I am starting to think this one is maybe hardware failing.

Faulting application name: IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe, version: 11.6.0.1030, time stamp: 0x5042b0f0
Faulting module name: ISDI2.dll, version: 11.6.0.1030, time stamp: 0x5042b0b6
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x0004d11f
Faulting process id: 0x1040
Faulting application start time: 0x01d229d9a23a5f89
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\ISDI2.dll
Report Id: e06a243a-95cc-11e6-8091-bc5ff436b22c

System info from DxDiag attached.

let me know what other info you need!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:33 AM

Get the latest W7 compatible RST from the system/motherboard manufacturer's support website.

As you are getting the display driver error mesage, also try this:  Please follow these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below steps:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.
NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Finally, wait until it crashes again, then recover and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

Hey usasma, thanks for the swift reply and all the tips. I actually did, before going to bed last night, get the last RST driver from Asrock. Haven't had time to see a crash since then. I will be at work most of the day today but will be setting up better reporting tonight. I should mention that I've had a VERY stable overclock of my 3770k for about 3 years that has never caused any problems. I tried downclocking it and still no go. Also I had the GPU at a very mild overclock of +41 core and +291 memory. I tried clocking them down to default/stock settings and the system still experienced a freeze/audio loop/black screen forcing me to restart, so I do not think my overclock is the issue.

Temps are completely normal and running great. I have decent cooling and temps have never been an issue. I did install a separate segment of 2x4GB ram a few months ago that, when I initially installed it, I had problems with. I assumed the problem was that the RAM was hitting the heatsink of the CPU so I took it out and dropped back down to 8GB. Recently I've been getting close to that 8GB mark because of Chrome memory usage so I reinstalled the memory. I will run Memtest while at work today to see if that is the issue.

Not really sure what else it could be. I hilariously have 3 SSD's, and the oldest one still runs my OS. Possibly this SSD is starting to fail? It's 4-5 years old. 

Edited by Mals, 19 October 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#4 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:01 AM

Just an update. Ran Memtest for multiple passes during work, came home and no errors. Played games all night trying to force a crash and couldn't get one to happen. Maybe updating RST did it. Not sure. I will run Memtest again overnight, but I don't have crash reports for today as I couldn't get a crash out.

#5 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:59 AM

Another update.. ran memtest overnight and while I was at work again today. no errors in multiple passes. Seems like it's not ram. Couldn't get a crash through tonight again :) so maybe it was the RST update? We'll see. I will post again if I get a crash and will dump the reports.

Edited by Mals, 21 October 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#6 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

And it just happened again. My screen went blank and I wasn't even doing that much. Working from home today and Slack, Chrome, and Steam were open.

Attached Files

#7 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:42 PM

Finally getting half a second to investigate and it looks like the same reason occurred, the RST failure. Not sure what to think. I also realized that my OS main SSD, my oldest one, was somehow almost near full. It was a few hundred MB short of it's 128gb capacity. I moved about 20GB off of it to free up more room. Wasn't sure if that could have been causing it.

#8 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

And now I am having persistent crashing. First during a game of Rocket League, screen frozen with the visual still there, audio stopped. Had to restart, on restart Windows frozen on the logging in screen. Hard reset, logged in, tried to get error dump reporting, froze again, hard turned off PC, opened it, re-jimmied some of the power/SATA cables, and rebooted. Now getting report dumps again.

Attached Files

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:38 AM

The first Sysnative report (MSINFO32.nfo) shows that your SSD has 111.69 gB total.

Of that, 15.91 gB were free

That's around 15% free space, which is the recommended amount for Windows drives.
You can actually get away with around 10% free space without seeing any serious performance issues.

If you only had a few mB free, that can cause serious problems - to include BSOD's

I have to wonder where you got the numbers from, as the MSINFO32.nfo report doesn't show this as a problem (nor does it show a 20 gB difference).

The second Sysnative report shows that the C: drive has 16.82 gB free

This is looking like a hardware issue to me.

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

I agree that it is looking like a hardware issue :( Here's an update.

I removed the "new" 2x4GB of extra ram I bought last year and have taken in/out over the last few months because I thought it might be bad. Turns out then original reason it was "bad" was because the heat sinks were shorting touching each other (one was loose, so i removed it) and I think that RAM is fine because... I just had a crash while playing Rocket League with some friends on chat in Discord. My screen simply turned off and the game audio stopped, but they could hear me fine. I was chatting with them. I tried unplugging/replugging my monitor into the graphics card, into the power outlet, nothing. The game audio was gone but they could hear me in chat fine. It's like my monitor just decided to stop receiving signal. My GPU, the Titan X, has a green LED on the side and it was still lit, so the GPU was .. I guess.. receiving power.

This is really baffling.

#11 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

Furmark maxes at 82 degrees and has no errors that I can find.. it really seems like the GPU is rock solid. I know it has been driver errors and display issues, but it seems like the GPU isn't just "burned out".

It's Intel Rapid storage crashing it again though. 

Attached Files

Edited by Mals, 22 October 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#12 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

If this was my motherboard acting up, it might explain the variety of crash types? The weirdest thing is I am yet to have a BSOD with all these crashes.

Sometimes it's graphics driver failing, sometimes its the screen freezing, sometimes it just locks my whole computer up, sometimes my screen literally just turns off like it lost signal, but my gpu is still getting power.

#13 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

I have run Furmark, Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool.. Memtest... All of the individual components do not have any errors, or crash anything when they are being severely stress tested.

All of the Seagate SSD diagnostic tools are not finding any errors with any of my Drives.

#14 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

The first Sysnative report (MSINFO32.nfo) shows that your SSD has 111.69 gB total.

Of that, 15.91 gB were free

That's around 15% free space, which is the recommended amount for Windows drives.
You can actually get away with around 10% free space without seeing any serious performance issues.

If you only had a few mB free, that can cause serious problems - to include BSOD's

I have to wonder where you got the numbers from, as the MSINFO32.nfo report doesn't show this as a problem (nor does it show a 20 gB difference).

The second Sysnative report shows that the C: drive has 16.82 gB free

This is looking like a hardware issue to me.

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Yup.. When I was getting errors originally I saw that my OS drive was down to about 300mb free. I immediately moved stuff off the drive and deleted some larger pieces. That's why it's showing that much free space.

#15 Mals

Mals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=24405&sid=48e561512966a1c28ac79f5149919808&start=10

Ordered a new displayport cable.. let's hope this is the crazy simple solution?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users