Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

port forwarding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:04 AM

I was wondering what is there to gain with port forwarding,and what exactly is it.

please help. :halloween:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

Port forwarding is usually used in online gaming or BitTorrent downloading. Bottom-line without lots of details.....it dedicates a port to that gaming or torrent  server so that each packet does not have to seek an open port with each send to get in to your computer. It can make a huge difference in download/gameplay speed. It also can be a pain to set up. For more information in heave detail just web-search it, you will find a ton of information. 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

There is nothing to gain from port forwarding if you don't need it.  Port forwarding is used to allow access to a computer or device from the Internet.  Port forwarding is a more secure solution than connecting a device directly to the Internet or putting it in a router's DMZ since you are only allowing specific ports to be accessed rather than all ports when directly connected or in the DMZ.  

#4 isaccasi

isaccasi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

Ok Thanks Both of you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users