Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can My TVs Have Malware? If so, How to Rid It?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 atrueidiot

atrueidiot

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

Both TVS in our house have had Chromecast hooked up to them.  I'm assuming that means they have internet access.  Actually, I know one does for sure, since we've used it before to watch YouTube videos. 

I know you can get malware on your TVs from Google searching. 

But if you do, does anyone know how to remove it? 

My story is here:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/did-malware-hackers-infect-my-entire-household-need-help-278311/#post2187082 (Techist)

and here:

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/138546/did-malware-infect-my-entire-household-need-help/138547 (Stack Exchange)

among other places online (I posted the same story in about eight different computer forums to get as much feedback as possible).

The story above details how/why my home network and various devices were compromised. 

But my question here is just trying to figure out what to do if my TVs have malware on them (that could have been spread from other infected devices on my network)?

Can a TV be "reset" like an iPAD?  Can a TV get anti-virus, etc.?

Thanks so much the help and feedback!  As I've mentioned many times, I'm not very computer literate, so places like this have been my only resource and have been very helpful to me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:14 AM

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/its-official-your-smart-tv-can-be-hijacked-malware-holding-viewers-ransom-1537533

I would wonder that too, i hope someone with more advanced skills give you information. But i would believe its hardly unlikely, atleast not yet. Usually, malwares are written to attack certain Operation systems, android based malware rarely can interact with windows and vise versa, but again, i would like to hear other opinions as well :)

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:15 AM

I doubt its malware but more a standard back door username/password being used mate.

Some IoT's have hardset accounts (Stupid if you ask me).

Anyone remember the backdoor account for the routers not long ago, it was backdoor spelt backwords LOL, this would give you full r00t access!

#4 atrueidiot

atrueidiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

I doubt its malware but more a standard back door username/password being used mate.

Some IoT's have hardset accounts (Stupid if you ask me).

Anyone remember the backdoor account for the routers not long ago, it was backdoor spelt backwords LOL, this would give you full r00t access!

Any thoughts on solutions (be it malware on the TV or a "standard back door username/password being used"?  

Thanks again!!

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:55 PM

Its hard to say mate and my tv is so old its immune to any user name and or password or malware hahahahahahaha.

#6 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:36 PM

Google out How to reset and name your tv brand, you should find information about it. Did you scanned the rest of your devices?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users