Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Laptop Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AndrewM1990

AndrewM1990

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

Over the course of the last few months, I’ve noticed that several of the keys on my keyboard have been acting erratically. I have a Toshiba Satellite C855-S5214, which I’ve had for about four years. I first noticed that a few keys were taking a while to respond, namely x, c, v, m, and CAPS lock. This problem got worse when my computer suffered a heating issue. It started running very loudly and puffing out bits of dust. The computer gave me a warning to shut it down because the internal temperature was too high, which I did.

Upon further inspection, I guessed that one of the plastic vent spokes on the bottom may have broken off and gotten jammed in the vent fan. I jiggled the vent fan around and that seemed to completely remedy the noise and the heating issue. However, several of the keys on my keyboard only seem to work when they want to. They recently stopped working altogether. I’ve restarted in safe mode…nothing. I’ve reinstalled the keyboard driver…nothing. This is especially frustrating since I write a lot.

I’m starting to wonder if perhaps my computer suffered some brain damage when it overheated. There are a couple of options as I see it. I could buy a USB keyboard and just use that in place of the actual keyboard, but it seems like that would be a bit cumbersome. I’ve also considered buying a replacement keyboard and replacing it, but I’m not sure if that would fix the issue. In the meantime, I’ve just been using the onscreen keyboard.

I would be very grateful for opinions on how I should proceed. Should I buy a USB keyboard or a replacement keyboard? I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I’m going to need a new computer soon since this one seems like it’s nearing the end of its life, but for now I’d prefer a quick fix to try to keep it going a little bit longer. It really has been a great computer and I’d like to keep it around longer. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:02 PM

A little google search for the parts might reveal a replacement to fit the budget.  The keyboards are not repairable.  When replaced under warranty, they tell you to throw the old one away.  I'm not a big fan of the "chicklet" keyboards, or that thing called a touch pad.  A powered USB hub with mouse and keyboard would cure things until parts can be replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users