Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 or 64 gigs of RAM in a Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

I've been looking at some Motherboards (AMD).Is there any practical reason I would need 64 gigs of RAM on a motherboard? Except for Extreme Gaming,I don't see a purpose for this. Most of the Mobos I have looked at offer up to 32 gigs,but some offer 64 with the AMD FX series processors. Comments?Opinions? All replies welcome-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

The only time that amount of RAM would be useful is in extreme applications, such as video editing and rendering, pro graphic use using huge graphic files, etc. I can't answer for gaming since I am not a gamer, but my guess is that the same principle would apply but with the addition of a monster graphic card with several gigs on the card. For general applications and light graphic work, even 4gigs of RAM is adequate. I regularly do side work using Photoshop and CorelDraw and light video editing with 4 gigs of RAM and have had no problems.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 October 2016 - 08:31 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

FWIW:  I do video editing on this system...using both XP and Win 7.  I have a total of 8GB RAM installed, with only 4GB used by XP.

When I render changes/edits...that is when the system resources are most used.  Using Task Manager...I have never seen a strain on either the RAM or the CPU when doing my tasks.  4GB or so of RAM seems to be more than enough for my video-rendering efforts.  I can tell that the CPU is working harder...because the noise from the CPU fan becomes more noticeable...but I've not seen any indication that I might successfully employ more RAM to render using programs that have stated specs saying that 1-2 GB of RAM will do the job. 

It's the program employed that uses the RAM...I've not seen a program which demands more than 8GB of RAM for optimal performance...but I just do routine things (I consider video-editng a routine task) on my systems.

Google Results, How Much RAM

One thing to always remember about anything posted or stated on the Web...some are educated opinions, some are just BS passed on by those who don't know better.  I trust my personal experiences with different systems having different CPUs, motherboards, and RAM installed...than I would trust an opinion that overstates an opinion that just cannot be borne out by documented or personal experience.

Louis

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

Unless you're doing high end graphics editing, video editing, CAD, or analysis I sincerely doubt you'll need more than 32GB of RAM in the near future.  I have 32GB in my main machine and doubt I've used half of it in the four years that I've had it.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

Every use previously said + one more:

Big "RAM disk" may be useful for many uses. Like serving as an ultra fast temp directory or store virtual machine that needs fast "disk access". Or alternatively virtual machine can be "disposed after use".

Basically, if you don't know why you need more than 32GB RAM, you probably don't need.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 19 October 2016 - 02:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users