Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Firerock

Firerock

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:05 PM

Hi,
When i try to open outlook express i get this. Outlook express has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Error Signature

Appname: msimn.exe

Modver: 6.02900.2180

Modname: comcti32dll

Offset: 000752b8

I am running Windows XP SP2

Zone alarm security suite. webroot 5.0. trend micro. cc cleaner lavasoft.
This also causes my computer to freeze. Where i can't click on anything.
I already scanned no change.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:27 PM

you should read this article:

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1912436,00.asp

There are also reports of Zone Alarm spam blocker/OE rules causing this problem

Edited by buddy215, 22 August 2006 - 02:02 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I shut down Spy sweeper and Zone Alarm one by one and Zone Alarm so far seems to be the problem, my computer even seems to run faster. Don't know how to get Zone Alarm to work right.?

Regards

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:42 PM

I did not see a cure/change in settings that would correct the problem. Just my opinion, it seems that all of these security programs that try to be all inclusive have problems. I use the free ZA firewall and am very pleased with it and use AVG free for scanning email and such.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

This a link to ZA forums where someone else posted the same problem. There is a link on that page to a possible fix.

forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=Antivirus&message.id=13433

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

When running zone alarm did you shut off the Windows firewall? You do not want two firewalls running at once.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

ZoneAlarm shuts it off by default when it is installed. I found that out when I went to shut off my XP firewall and found it already shut off.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

Uninstall the ZA firewall, reboot, and reinstall it.

#9 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:03 PM

Hi,
I got it to work by going into ZA under e-mail protection and turning off the junk e-mail filter. How long this will last i don't know. I am running Zone Alarm Security Suite 2006, should not have these problems. there spyware program isn't worth a % # @ , Spy Sweeper picks up spyware ZA picks up nothing. there antivirus takes 40 min.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users