Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Backup all the Apple Mail Emails with Attachments?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wassel_matt

wassel_matt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am a marketing head in a small IT company, and I handle all the writers. The send me daily work and I receive almost 150 emails containing attachments from the content writers. Though I have organized all the content neatly, I am afraid of loosing it as nowadays crashes have become more prominent. My emails are heavily sized, I need to backup all of them with all the attachments. I am running apple mail on my mac book pro. How can I backup all the  emails with the attachments?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:23 AM

The first question is...how do you access/get your email messages? Apple Mail? Some other email client? Using a web browser?

Assuming you use Apple Mail, then the likely easiest and best way would be to use Time Machine. This will backup your entire Mac, including email messages. You can then supposedly restore email messages directly within the Apple Mail client using Time Machine.

If you don't want to use Time Machine, then all of your Apple Mail accounts and email are stored in the following location:

[hard drive name]:Users:[user name]:Library:Mail

If you backup that folder (note that you may have to hold down the Option key while using the Go menu to find the Library folder in your Users account in the Finder as Apple hid that folder a number of macOS versions ago), then all of your Apple Mail settings, your accounts, and your email messages (including attachments) will be backed up. Restoring them might be a bit more of pain as you have to deal with permissions and a few other things, but they will be backed up. This manual method is a bit more of a pain than just using the Time Machine option. I believe you can potentially shortcut some of the hassle by using the Import function, but I have never tried it.

Another option is to export messages or even entire mailboxes. For a single message, just highlight it, then drag it to a Finder folder. This will leave a copy of the message in that folder AND in Apple Mail. For mailboxes, supposedly if you right-click on a mailbox in Apple Mail you will get a pop-up menu with the option to export the entire mailbox...for some reason, it is not working on my Mac...and I don't know why at the moment.

If you are using some other email client, then I still might be able to help. Same goes if you are access email by way of a web browser. I, however, would need to know the specifics.

#3 wassel_matt

wassel_matt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:58 PM

Hello smax013,

Thanks for replying to my query but that's a time-consuming process and I am looking for a fast and efficient process that backs up my emails every day. I also did a research for myself and came across this software called the mail backup x: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Mail-Backup-X.shtml. Can you share some more info on this application if you know so?? That will be helpful. thanks

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:08 AM

I don't know anything about it. Could not find a review from a major Mac magazine either, which does not mean that it is not worth considering.

Another option in the same vein to consider that has review from a well know and respected Mac magazine:

http://www.macworld.com/article/3085115/software-productivity/mail-archiver-x-4-review-versatile-mac-email-utility-is-poky-but-indispensable.html

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

Another option may be to archive the emails on the mail server, but that will depend on whether your mail server is on-premise or cloud-based. If it's cloud based, you'll probably want an archiving solution that will work on the MacBook.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:42 AM

Another option may be to archive the emails on the mail server, but that will depend on whether your mail server is on-premise or cloud-based. If it's cloud based, you'll probably want an archiving solution that will work on the MacBook.

Of course, if the email account is a server based account (such as IMAP and I believe Exchange as well), then technically the email will exist on both the computer and the server. So, if the computer crashes, then the email should still be on the server. And presumably, if the email server crashes, there is a backup of the email server, but the messages should still be on the Mac. Of course, this options does not account for accidental deletions on the Mac that then get propagated to the server.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:43 AM

And I should note that if the crashes are a concern, then backing up the entire computer is likely a good idea. Which then goes back to something like Time Machine or using cloning software to frequently clone the boot drive (which presumably also has the email on them).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users