Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - Update - Does Not Work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Banjojoe

Banjojoe

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hello:

I've been struggling with this computer of mine off and on for 3 weeks.  I'll give you the "Cliff Notes" version of my tale of woe: 

1.  My computer crashed, locked up, went crazy you choose the phrase that pays.

2.  Had to do a system recovery and that went ok - i got all my pictures and files back had to reload some programs but all in all I can't compalin

3. To make a long story short, remember this is the  "Cliff Notes" version, I cannot use windows update.

I go to the up date section and click the button and Nada, Nothing.  It just sits there stuck in the "checking for updates" mode.  I walked away from it for about 2 hours and nothing.

Has this happened to anyone in here?   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

This is a fairly common issue at the moment. Please see this page for fixes.

edit:

Out of all the fixes, this is the simplest.

Simple solution: Open Windows Update, go to change settings, make sure it's set to install updates automatically, change the Install new updates time to the next hour (as opposed to the 3:00).

Set the computer to never sleep when plugged in. It may take up to two hours for the updates to start, so be patient.

Edited by TsVk!, 18 October 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#3 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:54 PM

Thanks!  I'll try the simplest first and work down from there. I'll report back what worked.

#4 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

Okay! I finally fixed my problem.  In order to update my computer I had to first:

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for letting us know Banjojoe,

I'm sure it's nothing you did that caused the issue. More likely MS causing pain for Win 7 users to try and shoo them onto 10.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users