Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:53 PM

Howdy,

Whenever I reboot my computer a Microsoft screen pops up and says that it is preparing to install "Windows Installer".

Within less than a second a Norton security window pops up covering the Microsoft screen that says.

"Norton Security 2006 does not support the repair feature". "Please uninstall and reinstall".

Can anyone explain to me what is going on ?? What is Windows Installer ? What is Norton speaking of when it says "repair feature ?

I have Windows XP Home, SP2

Thank You for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hi Dennis H , have a look here and see if this helps.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

Do the Norton update and if that doesn't let Windows Installer complete disable Norton temporarily to let it complete, reboot and re-enable Norton.

When you get tired enough of Symantic - Norton's constant problems dump it in favor of AVG freeware.

#4 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

dump it in favor of AVG freeware.

In computing terms , it's the best move i ever made.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:40 PM

Howdy,
Thanks for the replies.

Well I ran the the Norton update 3 times ( it stated that I had all updates insalled) , restarted the computer 3 times and got the same messages. I then disabled Norton and rebooted several times and got the same messages.

I than ran the Norton fix again and rebooted and I got no screens at all. I am not sure if Windows Installer is installed or not.

Could you please tell how I can verify that the program is on my computer ??

You folks are right about Norton. It is starting to be a real pain. I just renewed it a couple of months ago, but I am getting sick of it. It seems that every other day I have some kind of problem come up.

My computer has lost at least a third of its speed.

Thanks for your HELP !

#6 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

Dennis , i don't know how to solve this problem but I'm happy to search for an answer , but with no guarantees there is one.

OR

You can take this opportunity to bite the bullet ,. kick all these errors into touch, and, speed up your PC into the bargain...........at no cost. You won't be short of advice from here , should you choose to do this.

Let us know what you think.

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

Well ,I found that Windows Installer 3.1is installed. Apparently one of the two suggestions worked. I just don't know which one did the trick. Thanks FifeFlyer and Enthusiast.

I am going to give Norton Security 2006 another week or so just to see if anymore problems arise. If they do I am going to dump it. I had Norton 2003 and had very little trouble with it. That is the only reason I went with the 2006 version.

Again, Thank You

Edited by Dennis H, 22 August 2006 - 06:09 PM.

#8 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

You're very welcome Dennis :thumbsup: ..........I do hope Norton behaves itself for you.

Regards.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

It may coexist properly from now on, but it is still a resource hog and problematic.

Norton used to be great, but sadly no more, especially not their suites.

Anyway, glad the problem is resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users