Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clicky laptop speakers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Durus

Durus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

Hello everybody, I have taken the liberty of skipping the introduction section to get straight to the nitty gritty of my problem.

I have an elderly Acer Aspire 5611 running XP Home Sp3. It's used only for word processing, so no great demands made of it. However it has suddenly started producing a regular rapid clicking from the speakers.

This has come out of the blue, no changes of any kind have been made to the computer and no new programs installed. I have done some research on the problem but no luck so far.

The level of the sound remains the same even if the speaker volume is reduced to zero and plugging in headphones stops the noise from the speakers but continues through the 'phones.

I have tried doing a clean boot but this doesn't help I have also removed the hard drive and attempted to boot and the clicking starts almost immediately, so not the hard drive.

I have looked into possible external interference but there is none and  the laptop is in the same location as when it worked O.K.

I have tried playing a CD and it will play but with very distorted sound with the clicks on top.

Don't know what to try next. because of the limited use to which the computer is put I am not really inclined to buy a new one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2016 - 09:59 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

I would try a set of earphones connected to the laptop...and I would try a set of external speakers connected via USB.

The most basic thing that can be done...uninstall the current audio drivers (using Device Manager) and then reinstall same.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Reboot, see if nuisance continues.

Louis

#3 Durus

Durus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for the reply Louis,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the audio driver but the problem remains, in fact the clicking persisted even when the driver was uninstalled!

As I stated in my original post using headphones mutes the speakers but the clicks are heard through the headphones.

I can also rule out noise from the fan as the clicking is audible only through the headphones when they are plugged in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users