Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain Keys in Keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andrew502502

andrew502502

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

This issue only occurs sometimes, it is not currently happening.

I first encountered this issue about a week ago.

Certain keys on the keyboard do not work, specifically:

Caps Lock

shift

t

y

[

]

Backspace

I have tried reinstalling keyboard drivers through device manager, this did not solve anything.

I have dusted off my keyboard, it solved the issue for a few days, then came back yesterday. I dusted it off again, which solved it for a day, and it came back on startup today.

This is the third occurrence of this issue, and it always shows up at start up, not in the middle of usage.

I solved this occurrence of the issue after about half an hour, by just pressing keys and trying to use the computer as normal.

It wavered in and out of the three malfunction phases: perfectly working, failing to work whatsoever, and intermittently working.

When the issue is occurring, the specified keys all malfunction in unison:

if one works perfectly, they all work (with the exception of the ] key, which is actually not working at the moment, but was working when i began this post)

if one fails to work whatsoever, they all do not work

if one intermittently works, they all intermittently work

when it "intermittently" works, it works maybe 1-2 out of every 10 total presses. I just press it a lot of times until it starts working, or spits out a character. 

This is the built-in laptop keyboard for a Lenovo Flex 2 or 3. 

DxDiag can be provided if desired.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be possibly be? Could it be a circuit board issue? A physical issue?

Edited by andrew502502, 18 October 2016 - 12:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

Connect a USB keyboard and see if the issue is present on the USB keyboard.  If the USB keyboard work fine then most likely there is an issue with the internal keyboard.

#3 andrew502502

andrew502502
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:51 PM

no issue with external keyboard

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:16 PM

Then there appears to be a problem with the internal keyboard. You may want to pull off the keys that don't work and clean under them.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

Probably your best course of action is to replace the keyboard, or continue with the USB one. Replacement keyboards are available between £UK 15 - £UK 30, just google for 'Lenovo Flex 2 keyboard' and removal and replacement seems very easy. Have a look at this video. Removal starts at 1min 30 and is finished by about 2min 20. You will not need to remove the screws shown in the first 1min 30 of the vid !  Just be careful with the keyboard cable connector.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 AYOUB

AYOUB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

its a comon problem in keyboards , usualy some keys stop functioning when the laptop is old

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users