Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curious

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm curious about Thunderbird. I use FireFox, and absolutely love it! But should I use Thunderbird? Will it work with my web based email from Comcast? What benefits does it provide?

Any other comments about it would be very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

Thunderbird is what is called an e-mail client, just as Outlook is. Some places refer to these as "graphical interfaces." I have no idea why. I use Thunderbird and find it to be a very nice program. You can set it so that your anti-virus e-mail protection will scan incoming mail, and you can set filtering rules for spam and for mail filing. With Thunderbird and other e-mail clients, your e-mail is downloaded to your computer when you use it. Instead of opening Web-mail, you open Thunderbird. You will need to talk to your e-mail provider to find out how to set up the e-mail client so that you can receive and send messages.

There are two basic types of e-mail protocols: IMAP and POP. With the first, the mail stays on the mail server. For example, my university e-mail account is an IMAP type mail, so I can use web-mail when I'm away from home and see my mail, and I can open Thunderbird at home and see my mail. In order for the e-mail client to show you any folders you created in web-mail, you have to subscribe to those folders. With POP mail, any mail that is downloaded to your computer is no longer on the mail server, so when you go to your web-mail, you will see only new mail. I understand that there is a way of making the downloaded mail to go back on the server, but the one webpage I read that described that process no longer has that information on the page.

With both kinds of mail protocols you can create local folders in Thunderbird or other e-mail client and transfer your mail to these folders. In IMAP, the mail transfered to these folders will no longer be on the server, so if you need to see that mail when away from home, you should keep the mail in the Inbox folders of the IMAP account.

By transferring the mail to your computer, you free up space on your mail server without having to delete the mail.

Note: The address book you have on Webmail will not be accessible from an e-mail client. I think there is a way of migrating it, but I did it the hard way by entering the information manually into Thunderbird. That said, if you have received mail from folks whose e-mail addresses you want to have in your address book, it is very easy to put them there. [I will write the specific directions when I get home].

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

So any webmail can work? I just have to ask my provider about it? I use Comcast, will it work with them?

Posted Image

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:44 PM

I'm not familiar with ComCast, but there shouldn't be any problems at all. The e-mail provider will give you the specifics of how to set up the e-mail client. The information may even be available on one of their webpages, and I think I have just found it for you. Here is the link I found; just scroll down until you see the Thunderbird instructions and click on that link if this is the provider you use: Thunderbird Setup with ComCast.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 August 2006 - 04:45 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

Cool! Thankyou so much!

I'm going to go download Thunderbird and try this right now!

Posted Image

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

Getting Started With ThunderBird is a good reference and How to Keep ThunderBird Working is another important read.
Enjoy!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:33 PM

Note: The address book you have on Webmail will not be accessible from an e-mail client. I think there is a way of migrating it, but I did it the hard way by entering the information manually into Thunderbird. That said, if you have received mail from folks whose e-mail addresses you want to have in your address book, it is very easy to put them there. [I will write the specific directions when I get home].

I found a way to transfer my address book very easily. In Comcast web mail, I went to export address book, exported it as CSV. Then opened up Outlook Express and imported it. The went to Thunderbird and was able to use the Import feature to get the address book from Outlook Express! BINGO! :flowers:

Hope this is helpful to anyone else new to Thunderbird. :trumpet:

-kyle

Edited by killer_kyle, 22 August 2006 - 10:34 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:01 AM

And here is how you can add new addresses to your address book:

Open a message you have received, click on the sender's e-mail address, and you will see a menu like this:

Posted Image

Click on Add to Address book, and voila it is added. There will be one addition to the menu above, the e-mail address in question grayed out at the top of the menu.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 August 2006 - 12:02 AM.

Orange Blossom

#9 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:44 PM

Alright, cool.

Thanks Orange Blossom and TMack for helping em get started, I really like Thunderbird. :thumbsup:

Edited by killer_kyle, 23 August 2006 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

You're very welcome! :thumbsup:
The more you use it,the more you'll enjoy it...and remember to keep those folders compacted.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users