Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced RAM, now my computer wont start up.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JoeThePlumber

JoeThePlumber

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:33 PM

Recently I tried to upgrade my RAM from 12gb (one 8gb and one 4gb sticks) to 32gb (two 16gb sticks). I didn't do the proper research before the upgrade and it turns out my motherboard can only support 16gb of RAM. After this, I reinstalled the previous sticks and my computer started crashing on start up. I replaced the sticks with an 8gb stick from another computer and it was working fine but now my computer will not start up again. Sometimes it makes it to the desktop log in screen but it mostly just shuts back down before that. I've also tried multiple power supplies that work on other computers but no luck. I can't get into my specs to take a screen shot but i do have some info:

Version 1607
OS Build: 14393.321
Product ID: 00362-10000-00000-AA468
Processor: AMD FX™8320 Eight Core processor 3.50ghz
System type: 64bit OS, x64 based processor

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:50 PM

I think that I would short the MB pins, resetting the BIOS, then try to boot and go into the BIOS and see if everything is properly recognized.

IMO...it sounds like a PSU issue...I don't think the wrong RAM would really have any impact on system ability to boot...but I'm not technically inclined or trained.  I start with the obvious...which would be the CMOS battery and the PSU.

Louis

#3 kris-chevyz24

kris-chevyz24

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

Unplug the power supply from the board and make sure it's got a good connection and that you did not shift anything inserting the ram, also do you have proper supports under that motherboard or was it flexing when you pushed the new ram in??? The reason for that question is that my buddy just built a brand new system and did not install the supports properly under the motherboard. 

When he pushed the new ram chips in...... He caused a hair-line crack in the motherboard and it was junk. That mistake cost him $225 

Edited by kris-chevyz24, 17 October 2016 - 07:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users