Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP is frozen during update, does not turn off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Peter314

Peter314

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

I just started a update on my HP desktop and came to check on it later. I heard that there was some unusual whirring (fan maybe?) and noticed the screen was black and nothing happened for 15 minutes. At this point I tried to hold down the power button to try to turn off my computer, but it did not work. I waited another 30 minutes and the situation did not change, there was still whirring and the power button still failed to load. I was tempted to go pull the power cord, but I didn't want to break my computer. Is there any way to safely restart my computer? Sorry that I don't have any other information as I don't remember my specs off the top of my head. 

Edited by Peter314, 17 October 2016 - 06:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:49 AM

If you can't shut it down by holding the power button down - then you have not recourse but to unplug it from the wall.

What happens after that when you try to restart?

What is the make and model of the system?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users