Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS fan running high

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:40 PM

Hey guys, owner of this unit says when he is working on the unit the fan starts running on high speed but when in idle mode it is quiet. There was heavy dust all over the PSU casing and on the processor's heat sink which I blew out so now it's fully clean. The owner has sensitive data so doesn;t want to give me access to the desktop to run softwares to see what's going on so I told him best I can do is run diagnostics. I am trying to get the diagnostics key but can't find it on the net. The service tag 96LOHS1 [either that's a zero or the letter 0?] is not working right now on Dell's site so I don't know if there is currently an issue with dell's site. Also all it shows on the from is XPS so no number for me to know if it's like an XPS 8700 or 8900 e.t.c.

I have memtest on disk so I can use that to test the ram but assuming the ram passes ok and I use linux to Disk health utility to test the HDD what's else can I run from a linux disk, I have Parted magic and Puppy linux?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:00 PM

Also, I am guessing I can connect to the net via linux and install speedfan to test for overheating but what can I run to test for overheating, maybe youtube videos or is there something better?

Edited by mystic12, 17 October 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:05 PM

Tapping F12 at boot should bring up the Dell Diagnostics. Windows 7 has had a lot of issues lately when searching for updates. The CPU will run at 25% for a quad core and 50% for a dual core, the problem being svchost and the windows update service. This can cause a big speed jump in the fan.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 October 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

Yeah F12 worked as is normal with Dell, I am running memtest now

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:14 PM

Isn't there a diagnostics software available in these modern times  for testing mobo's for overheating?

Edited by mystic12, 17 October 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

There are tests on Hirens Boot Disk. Look under the System Information Tools and Testing Tools.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:37 AM

Thanks, the dell diagnostics all passed so did the separate memtest and the fan never ran at any higher speed than normal. I will tell the guy if cleaning out the dust did not do the trick then no way he can get anyone to fix this issue unless he shows someone what happens just before the fan kicks up, he says only after one minute this happens when he is using the pc.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

When the fan does kick in tell the customer to open Task Manager. Click the Performance tab and then the Resource Monitor button. In the top pane check the box next to the process that is using a majority or the CPU. In the bottom pane will be the service the process is using. Have him write down both the process and service.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:27 AM

ok, will do, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users