Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New System Set Up And Spyware Within 1 Hour!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emunah

Emunah

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:32 AM

I just downloaded ewito and it found 39 spywares on my brand new 1 hour old installation!!!

what sofwares other than firewall (I have nvidia), spyware protection (ewido) and I have norton anti virus.

am I safe?

how in the world without even going to any questionable websites I got spywares on the computer withing an hour?>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

It doesnt take long to get infected.
You can click the wrong website, or the wrong link, and your infected.

The best way to protect yourself, is to use a layered approach for security.
One Antivirus.
One Firewall.(Never heard of nvidia firewall. Could you provide a link?)
Several Anti-malware programs.(What one misses, hopefully the others will pick up.)
Periodic online scans.

Antivirus, and Firewalls, are a personal choice.
There are many good, free ones, so find one that's the best for you.
There are several to choose from in this list:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

What I use for anti-spyware:
aČ free
ewido - Windows 2000 and XP, only.
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Other useful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

Congratulations on getting your new comp. The first thing to do is go to Windows update and get all the priority updates.
Next update Java, Flash.
More than likely it was third party cookies that Ewido identified as spyware. You can block those from getting on your comp.
How to block third party cookies in Internet Explorer:
Click start/control panel/double click Internet Options/click privacy tab/click advanced/check override automatic cookie handling/uncheck always allow session cookies/select block third-party cookies/click OK
Third-party cookies track your use of the Internet for advertising purposes. That is why they are considered adware/spyware.

In Firefox click on tools/click options/choose cookie tab/check allow sites to set cookies/check for the originating site only/in keep cookies window choose ask me every time (this will allow you to decide whether to accept first party cookies or not on the site you are viewing. Firefox will remember what you chose when you next visit the same site.)
Click OK
Some other programs that I would recommend are SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol, and AdAware. They all have free versions that work great!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

To protect yourself against malware, you also may want to read "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe" and "How to Prevent Spyware".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users