Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finally...Resolved My Windows Update Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

After trying several variants of various atttempted solutions posted here...I hit upon one today that actually worked.  It may never work again...but, hopefully, I won't have this situation again.

My Win Update setting has been stuck on "Never" for weeks.  I had run every tool...SURT, reset updates, installed new Agent...ad nauseam.  The setting remained at "Never" and Windows Update would do it's endless check as long as I would permit it...with no results, of course.

Today I decide to take a different route.

I went to Services and changed actually stopped the Windows Update service.  Previously, it would never reflect "Stopped" but instead displayed "Stopping".  Today it reflected  a "stopped" status for the first time in weeks.  Not content with that, I decided to disable the WU service by changing the Service Status to "Disabled".

I then navigated to the Microsoft Update Catalog...did a search for "October rollups" and was greeted with screen displaying 21 items.  I selected two of the 21 and eventually wound up with two items being downloaded to my desktop.  One indicates that it's a rollup for 64-bit, while the other doesn't indicate either 32-bit or 64-bit...but they have the same KB number,   31853302016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7.

Remember...I had the Windows Update service disabled still.  I tried to run the 64-bit rollup...could not run because it needed Windows Update service to run.  So I went to Services and went back to the delayed start status and also started the service again.

I then tried again to run the 64-bit rollup...it ran flawlessly, installed, asked for reboot at conclusion.  I rebooted...went to Windows Update..."Never" was still reflected as my download choice (although I had tried to change it to the automatic download option.  I decided to change my download time to 1100 from 0900, since I still wasn't convinced all would work as it should.  After I changed to download time to 1100 (it was 1050 or so when I did this), all of a sudden my "Never" screen changed to "Always" and the screen reflected 11 items ready for download.

Since I had not seen this on this system in months...I was surprised and grateful...and I elected download all 11 of the currently pending items reflected.  Tne downloaded without a hitch...then I had to reboot.  When Windows settled down again ...all downloaded updates were configured, the one remaining item was reflected on my Win Update screen...and I just downloaded/installed it successfully.

I have not bothered to install the other rollup which I downloaded...either I don't need it or it's for 32-bit Win 7...either way, I have no more Win Update situation to vex me :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 October 2016 - 11:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

Hello hamluis thought I would share this with you.

Its always nice when we figure out a problem.  I always run into issues with users computers that search and search for updates just to eventually fail.  I have found (thanks to another member) that running the solution provided here works:

Try these instructions which were found on another forum Windows 7 Forum (so credit goes to them for the fix)

1. Download these two updates(making sure to grab the 32bit or 64bit according to your OS):

April 2015 servicing stack update (KB3020369)
July 2016 update rollup (KB3172605)

2. Disconnect your internet connection.

3. Open Windows Update, select 'Change settings' and change it to "Never check for updates". Click 'OK' to exit out of Control Panel.

4. Open the start menu and type services.msc in the search bar.

5. Scroll down to the Windows Update service -> right click -> select Properties. Change startup type to 'manual' and stop the service. Click 'OK'.

6. Reboot the PC.

7. Install the April 2015 servicing stack update (KB3020369).

8. Install the July 2016 update rollup (KB3172605).

9. Reboot the PC again once installed.

10. Go back into Services and change Windows Update service back to 'Automatic (delayed start)' and then restart the service.

11. Reconnect your internet.

12. Open Windows Update and select 'Check for updates but let me choose'. Click 'OK'.

13. Check for updates and it should hopefully pick them up within 5 - 10 minutes (depending on your connection).

14. Open Windows Update, select 'Change settings' and change it to "Install updates automatically (recommended)". Click 'OK' to exit out of Control Panel.

Edited by Firefoxthebomb, 17 October 2016 - 11:46 AM.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 Bambinoo

Bambinoo

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

Thanks guys...great info to share.

Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users