Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't post?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 StiffWaffle

StiffWaffle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

Posted Today, 04:13 PM

Specs: 
Processor: AMD FX--8350

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb)

PSU: (Before) Corsair CX500M (After) Seasonic S12II

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 SC

Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD + Crucial MX200 250GB SSD

Mobo: GA-990fxa-ud3 rev 4.1

Basically, this issue started to happen a few weeks ago where I would put my PC into sleep mode and when I tried to turn it back on it wouldn't boot properly. The PC would turn on and it wouldn't connect to my displays, my keyboard wouldn't start up, my mouse wouldn't do anything, but I knew my USB ports had power because my headset lights would work. So, I would have to hard reset and everything would be okay. It would either resume or ask to boot into safe mode. 

This would happen on occasion until a few days ago where this happened and hard resetting would no longer do anything. So, I turned it off unplugged the CMOS battery and left it unplugged for the night after attempts to unplug the GPU and power cables and reconnect them. It turned back on normally the next day so I thought it was okay. I put it into sleep mode once more and now it won't boot properly regardless of what I do. I unplugged every component and tried turning it on one part at a time to see what could be wrong. I found that when I unplugged my GPU I could once again hold the power button down and it would turn off which it wouldn't do with it plugged in. I ended up replacing my PSU thinking that was the issue and now with everything connected it starts up fine but my peripherals still will not turn on neither will my displays so I don't know what the issue could be at this point. 

I'm pretty sure it's my MOBO but I just want to get some second opinions or try to find some help before having to wait a while for a new one. Previously, before I replaced my PSU it would turn on and I wouldn't be able to hold down the power button to turn it off (Someone suggested this was because my connections weren't correct), but now I can do that again with my new PSU. I've tried CMOS resetting, and running my PC with 1 ram stick but nothing happens with either of those; I can't get to the BIOS.

I've also tried using a different GPU which didn't do anything either.

Edited by StiffWaffle, 17 October 2016 - 11:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

Hibernate and sleep modes do some strange things to a MOBO.  Some peripheral chips weren't really designed to do a stall routine.  That's why a hard reset (pull the AC power) got things going again. 

#3 StiffWaffle

StiffWaffle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hibernate and sleep modes do some strange things to a MOBO.  Some peripheral chips weren't really designed to do a stall routine.  That's why a hard reset (pull the AC power) got things going again. 

Any ideas what I can try to get my system to POST? I can't access bios, displays don't connect and neither do my keyboard and mouse.

Edited by StiffWaffle, 17 October 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

I might have missed it, while being thoroughly grounded, have you already done a "bench test/build"?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 StiffWaffle

StiffWaffle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

I might have missed it, while being thoroughly grounded, have you already done a "bench test/build"?

I just tried booting it with only my GPU, RAM, CPU and CPU connected and I still can't post into bios. Components turn on but nothing happens.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

See if powercycling helps. Pull the CMOS battery after unplugging the computer. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and power cord. Try booting.

#7 StiffWaffle

StiffWaffle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:14 PM

See if powercycling helps. Pull the CMOS battery after unplugging the computer. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and power cord. Try booting.

I've tried that already, RMA for my MOBO got approved so I'm going to get that handled. At this point I think it's the only option since I've exhausted pretty much every other one.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, if powercycling did not help and since you replaced the PSU I would have to agree. If you have the time please post an update.

When you ran with one stick of RAM did you try in all slots? Then try the other stick in all slots? 

#9 StiffWaffle

StiffWaffle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:46 PM

Yeah, if powercycling did not help and since you replaced the PSU I would have to agree. If you have the time please post an update.

When you ran with one stick of RAM did you try in all slots? Then try the other stick in all slots? 

Yup, I tried using all of my ram slots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users