Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oddly named C: drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John_H555

John_H555

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

In the process of replacing a 250 Gig SSD with a new 500 Gig SSD.  Yesterday I cloned the old drive, today I replaced the it with the new drive.  It would not boot, so I loaded my Win 7 Disk and went into Repair mode.  Some fiddling ensued, because for some reason the new drive had been designated by Win 7 (or perhaps by the cloning software) as "drive F:" and it was necessary to go through some side doors to change it to C:

Once the cloned drive was renamed it successfully booted the computer.  However, there is a curious leftover problem: 

Attached File  cee drive odd name.jpg   98.28KB   0 downloads

In Disk Managment mode, the drive is named "C: (C:)" and no amount of renaming will reduce this to a simple, familiar  "C:"

I am guessing the appended, parenthetical "(C:)" means something, maybe something important, e.g., a drive within a drive or some some such thing. 

1) What does it mean?

2) Can I somehow get rid of the "(C:)"?

Thank you for your insights.

John Harris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

1) What does it mean?

2) Can I somehow get rid of the "(C:)"?

1) It just a label, it does not mean anything

2) Yes, just right click the C partition and open up the properties dialog, you can change it's name/label there.

Damon Harris

Edited by TheDcoder, 17 October 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#3 John_H555

John_H555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

Thank you. In Properties, curiously, the name of the drive is displayed as "C:"

Similarly, if I attempt to use the Rename facility, it also shows up as "C:"

The parenthetical "(C:)" is being appended, for some reason, and is inaccessible, so far.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

I recommend having a unique, short, name for that partition; in case a restore is ever needing to be done, the unique name will always point you and the restore program to what partition you're restoring to.  Of course, during backup, you and the program will know which partition is being backed up.

Edited by RolandJS, 18 October 2016 - 05:44 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

...The parenthetical "(C:)" is being appended, for some reason, and is inaccessible, so far.

Have you already tried Safe Mode?  Or, if you have a Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot, you can rename from within there.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 October 2016 - 11:30 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

You can also use a GParted Live CD to manage your partitions (including the renaming your partitions)

#7 John_H555

John_H555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

It appears the parenthetical expression, (C:) is the normal way to present the letter identifying the drive. For example, my Disk Manager identifies my Dee drive as "Local Disk (D:)"

From looking at images of the Win 7 Disk manager on Google, it appears to me the typical presentation for the Cee drive is "Windows (C:)". 

I went into the Properties of the Cee drive and overwrote the drive name, "C:" with the word "Windows".  I then applied the change.  Now the Cee drive is presented as "Windows (C:)" and so perhaps things are back to normal now.

Thank you for your insights. John

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:48 AM

Because you know this Windows drive is also your Cee drive; because usb and dvd boot devices "scramble" the drive letters, for restore purposes, for my hard-drive's partitions, I use:  S01_C and S01_D as my labels.  I think only so many letters can be used for a partition or a hard-drive name, so I settled on S01_C and S01_D.

Edited by RolandJS, 18 October 2016 - 05:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users