Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to read WD Elements 1TB Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 problematic123

problematic123

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

Hi Guys,

My Wd elements 1tb hard disk is unreadable by my computer.It is not showed in my file explorer 
I ran WD LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. This time, this app detected my hard disk.
Under SMART status column, it shows that it Passed
i then run on the following tests:

Quick Test:

The scan stops after 8s, after that an error pops up : "Read SMART Attribute command error  on drive 3"(pic 1)

Extended Test:

The scan stops around 9mins, error pops up:"too many bad sectors detected"(pic 2)

Should i continue to the other tests?(I got no time today so i just ran the basic tests)

I then started looking up on Disk Management, and it took ages to load up.
Once i remove my wd hard disk, it then pops up my internal hard disk.

I got nothing important inside this wd hard disk, so i am okay if i need to wipe everything inside.

Please guide on what i should do next.

Thanks,
problematic

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

Personally, I would trash the drive. Too many bad sectors. You can try using it for a temporary backup solution by zero wiping the disk then formatting but I certainly would not save anything important to the drive.

Edit: If you do decide to trash the drive be sure to remove the rare earth magnets. Those can come in handy.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 October 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#3 problematic123

problematic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:05 AM

Okay, I just noticed that I still have warrenty, becos I got this hard disk as a free gift from a bank, the warranty status is 'out of sub region' but I will still try. THANKS :)

Edited by problematic123, 20 October 2016 - 06:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users