Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 16.10: The Linux for the cloud

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

Once upon a time Canonical's Ubuntu Linux was known as the desktop Linux. It's desktop is still very popular and the company is still investing in improving it. But, you don't need to look hard at the latest release, Ubuntu 16.10, to see Canonical believes its future is as the enterprise Linux for containers and the cloud.

Put it all together, and it's clear Canonical is putting the cloud first and the server second. The desktop is still important, but profitability will be found on the cloud, not in the PC.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-16-10-the-linux-for-the-cloud-and-containers-arrives/

Is this a good or bad idea? Will it attract more users to Ubuntu and/or drive existing users away?

I have never used any "cloud" services, always preferring to keep my data on my own storage media, but I would say that more choice is generally good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:07 AM

I doubt the typical home user will care about cloud services. But, as time progresses, more and more companies are switching to off site server hosting... for just about everything. The company I work for has quite a few things hosted in the "cloud". We have our own internal servers as well, but the majority is based on off site hosting. In the long run it probably ends up being cheaper. Don't have to pay for hardware, electricity, maintenance, licensing, etc. etc.

I even personally have a Linux server on Digital Ocean (5 bucks a month!) that I use as an apache web server right now (I have a NFL pick site hosted on there so I'll probably kill it at the end of the NFL season). Its also a good option if you want to play around with a server but don't have the extra hardware and don't mind spending a few bucks a month on a hosted one.

I think we'll end up seeing a lot of "cloud" services in the future. Everything seems to be trending that way, at least in the business world.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:17 AM

From a security standpoint, cloud computing is a joke, you only have to look at the number of online services that get hacked to tell you that.

However, renting someone a service is hugely more profitable than selling them one, so it's almost inevitable that more and more companies will want to sell you cloud solutions.

Personally I have no use for them, but I accept that I'm probably in a minority, and that the majority of computer users will opt to trust the worthless security promises of online vendors, and sign away their security and independence for the mobile utility that cloud services offer.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

From a security standpoint, cloud computing is a joke, you only have to look at the number of online services that get hacked to tell you that.

Security is definitely a big issue with any type of off site hosting. You never know who has access to your data and when. As time goes on companies that host the hardware will get reputations for good security and making sure your data is secure, and ones that don't will be put out (or just run shady stuff). Even still now, companies that do so are willing to take the risk. In the short term and long term its cheaper to do it. Which is what most high level execs care about.

I agree from a personal standpoint, I don't really have a  need for much cloud based things. I'd rather keep my data on my own storage, which is cheap nowadays anyway.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:12 PM

I have no problem uploading my stuff to the cloud after I have encrypted it!
But that probably isn't going to work with most cloud services...

However, renting someone a service is hugely more profitable than selling them one, so it's almost inevitable that more and more companies will want to sell you cloud solutions.

Personally I have no use for them, but I accept that I'm probably in a minority, and that the majority of computer users will opt to trust the worthless security promises of online vendors, and sign away their security and independence for the mobile utility that cloud services offer.

+1

Greets!  :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users