Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update isn't working after fresh install of windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisD1

ChrisD1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:49 AM

I was up to windows 10 and everything was good but had trouble making a Microsoft account and dealing with a kernel security failure.  I couldn't login to battlenet. Memory check was good. Hard drive was tested good.  I followed all kinds of help finally gave up and reverted back to windows 7 had issues with the updater so decided to format reinstall. Windows 7 sp1 is the operating system now and at my wits end trying to get updates to work.  It just hangs at checking for updates hours and hours all night long. I have only actually received one error the rest I have seen in logs. There are several errors first one was with the standalone installer 0x08024001e it actally popped up with that error.  The others are in the windows update log:

0x8024001F

0x8024001B and 0x8024001b lower case not sure is that means something different

0x8024000

0x8024001e

0x80248014

Things I have tried sfc scannow no problems found and cleared the windows software distribution folder.  Restart the windows update service. Run the readiness tool. Standalone installer for manual install. some updates may be needed before others not sure. I think even a few other things i cant remember.

Windows 10 updates were working fine just saying lol.

Attached Files

Edited by ChrisD1, 17 October 2016 - 09:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChrisD1

ChrisD1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

I got to work thanks to help from another site here is the information I used. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-problems-read-this-first/28147a5f-b0b0-480b-bed9-834a2da7a375

This fixed my issue and hopefully it will help some one too. If the catalog wont open in internet explorer may need to register the catalog in windows mine wasn't even there since it always was using auto updates.

I searched a Win 10 machine for MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4897685/how-do-i-register-a-dll-file-on-windows-7-64-bit

Edited by ChrisD1, 17 October 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for letting us know that you resolved your situation...every successful effort to overcome W7 Update issues...may help someone else avoid the frustration that comes with such.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#4 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

Chris,

Thanks for posting this.  So these two installs and then "check for updates" is all that you had to do? 

I will try this too as I am in the same boat as you with a fresh install (SP1) on a new HDD. 

Kevin

#5 ChrisD1

ChrisD1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:21 PM

Yes manually installed those 2 updates and all of the other updates came several restarts to get them all but it is working like it is supposed to.

Activex didn't want to install the addon for windows update but the second site explains how to use the dll from another pc. The link to opera download didn't have anything there so I used

my other pc for the dll.

This procedure worked for me. There are several posts down through the page cycle down toward the bottom. You have to have the MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll first

I couldn't find it anywhere online place it in the windows system32 folder then do 1 update

You need run the administrator cmd.exe in c:\windows\system32\

Commands:

regsvr32.exe C:\windows\system32\MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll

When using the Update Catalog you can search for the updates and then add them to your "basket" and then when the two updates are in your basket you can download the contents of your basket (two updates) to your desktop or someplace you can find them and then install them.

The first update to search for is KB3020369:  My  pc actually didn't need this one

Click the Add button to add the appropriate update (32 or 64 bit) to your basket and you will see that your basket now has one item:

Then search for the second update KB3172605

Restart after each one then went and downloaded updates like normal.

I been dealing with this for days hours at a time all because some windows 10 issues and was working fine for the most part but a few glitches kept me from using the pc for what we

want. I want to save someone else this frustration.

Edited by ChrisD1, 17 October 2016 - 09:47 PM.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:24 AM

Yes manually installed those 2 updates and all of the other updates came several restarts to get them all but it is working like it is supposed to.

Activex didn't want to install the addon for windows update but the second site explains how to use the dll from another pc. The link to opera download didn't have anything there so I used

my other pc for the dll.

This procedure worked for me. There are several posts down through the page cycle down toward the bottom. You have to have the MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll first

I couldn't find it anywhere online place it in the windows system32 folder then do 1 update

You need run the administrator cmd.exe in c:\windows\system32\

Commands:

regsvr32.exe C:\windows\system32\MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll

Strange I never found any problem with the MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll did you update Internet Explorer to the latest version first?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 ChrisD1

ChrisD1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

Yes i was able to able to use internet explorer  11 but when I tried to run the update an activex  popup said it wanted to run and it wouldn't install. I don't know why hopefully no on had that

problem. It was giving me issues every step of the way.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

Yes i was able to able to use internet explorer  11 but when I tried to run the update an activex  popup said it wanted to run and it wouldn't install. I don't know why hopefully no on had that

problem. It was giving me issues every step of the way.

I see, the solution is to run Internet Explorer as Administrator one time only to do the install.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 ChrisD1

ChrisD1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

Oh never thought of that. It would save all that file swapping and registering that may not be possible for some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users