Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAPTOP WITH CD-ROM/CD-R DRIVE.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

Speaking for Acer laptops, I understand there are business laptops and personal [home-use] laptops.  I have an Antec [?] desktop which can be both business or personal.  IMO, there are no clear lines of business level computers and personal level computers.  A lot depends upon the functionality, durability, graphics quality, sound quality, screen quality, upgrade ability [hardware], which factory-installed Windows, and other factory-installed software in general, and other factors.

I haven't researched Acer business laptops.  I do not know what their current offerings include.

As far as I know, Antec only makes computer cases, power supplies, and some accessories.  They don't sell complete computer systems.  I have used Antec products in some of my builds.  

Some of the differences I (sometimes) see between personal and business computers include:

Business computers do not come loaded with trialware and bloat.  IT Departments do not tolerate that.

Business computers feature enhanced remote management features to make managing 50-50000 computers easier for IT Department.

Business computers are usually built to reduce The Total Cost of Ownership.  The cost to purchase, maintain, and manage the devices.

Stability and reliability is often valued over peak performance.  

Business computers often have enhanced security features for protecting confidential data.  The cost of a stolen laptop hardware is not nearly as important as the value of the data on the device.  The cost to the company if that data is compromised can be extremely high.

Business laptops are sometimes ruggedized for use in mobile or harsher environments.   This can add considerably to the cost of the device.

In some cases, business laptops have been designed to allow the user to very quickly destroy data on the hard drive in the event the need arises.  

Business computers can be delivered with a customized hard drive image fresh from the factory.  

In some cases, business computer product lines will have the same system components used for a product life span.  This makes the above imaging easier.  Makes product deployment and management easier.

I have never been responsible for deployment larger than 20 computers.  My knowledge of much larger deployments and networks comes from networking with professionals in the industry.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

Steve thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

#33 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:22 PM

+1 SafetySteve's post, which is #31 in this thread!  You gave me lots of heads-up information that I have not recently considered.  I was looking at this from a different vantage-point, again thanks, SafetySteve!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#34 pcowner

pcowner

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

I have always preferred HP laptops...they generally include less per-installed useless software for me to remove.

BTW...post your questions in this topic, not the one in the Security forum which I just removed.

quietman7, how to you remove pre-installed useless software, by hand or a program you like? how do you know which one is useless?

#35 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

I have always preferred HP laptops...they generally include less per-installed useless software for me to remove.

BTW...post your questions in this topic, not the one in the Security forum which I just removed.

quietman7, how to you remove pre-installed useless software, by hand or a program you like? how do you know which one is useless?

I am still watching this thread.... I can't help myself...

Personally, I do it by hand.  I have had mixed luck with the automated tools.  I have never had a reputable automated tool do harm to my computer, but they have missed some applications. 

After I uninstall all of the trialware and bloat ware, I then go through and make sure that all of my software is up to date.  I have used automated tools for this with mixed luck.  Secunia PSI has helped. But I then uninstall Secunia once I am done. 

I will then load my bundle of software tools that I find useful and enjoy using. 

#36 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel.

Bleeping Computer's Uninstall Programs Database is a place where you can conduct a search of programs. Doing this is a good way to learn for yourself what you have, want or don't need.

There are automatic tools but I prefer not to use them. For Example, PC De-crapifier is a program designed to identify unwanted junk and crap software typically shipped with new computers and provide recommendations on what should be removed. For other programs you don't recognize or know whether they are worthwhile to keep or be removed, use Should I Remove It?.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#37 pcowner

pcowner

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:09 AM

thank you, guys (and quietman for the list), so will programs such as Revo play a role? Should they be utilized after the Windows' tools or instead of add/remove by Windows?

Edited by pcowner, 23 October 2016 - 01:12 AM.

#38 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

...will programs such as Revo play a role? Should they be utilized after the Windows' tools or instead of add/remove by Windows?

I have used Revo Uninstaller [both free and pro] instead of using Windows' Control Panel's zPrograms' Add/Remove function.  Properly configured, it will work just fine.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#39 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

thank you, guys (and quietman for the list), so will programs such as Revo play a role? Should they be utilized after the Windows' tools or instead of add/remove by Windows?

For uninstalling programs the "Programs and Features" control panel works fine...under normal circumstances. Sometimes there can be errors which make it impossible for the normal uninstaller to remove the some or all of the software. Also, some uninstallers will succeed fine but leave traces behind. When that happens, that's when you use programs like Revo Uninstaller.

#40 pcowner

pcowner

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

I have used Revo Uninstaller [both free and pro] instead of using Windows' Control Panel's zPrograms' Add/Remove function.  Properly configured, it will work just fine.

Thank you. What do you mean by properly configured, advanced scan option?

Edited by pcowner, 24 October 2016 - 10:48 AM.

#41 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

I mean every end-user should go through the configuration menu and set up the choices according to what the end-user wants and not just simply accepting "undiscovered" defaults.  Every default or choice has an effect.  By choosing the clicks, end-user chooses the effects.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 October 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#42 pcowner

pcowner

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:17 PM

I mean every end-user should go through the configuration menu and set up the choices according to what the end-user wants and not just simply accepting "undiscovered" defaults.  Every default or choice has an effect.  By choosing the clicks, end-user chooses the effects. No one knows better than you, what you want the program to do.

Hmm, wise words. I do that when installing a program, but it's a good idea to implement this practice on the already installed programs as well.

Edited by pcowner, 24 October 2016 - 11:18 PM.

#43 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:27 PM

FWIW:  OP's last post was 21 Oct 2016.  I suspect that his questions on the stated topic...have been sufficiently answered.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 October 2016 - 03:27 PM.

#44 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:25 PM

+1 SafetySteve's post, which is #31 in this thread!  You gave me lots of heads-up information that I have not recently considered.  I was looking at this from a different vantage-point, again thanks, SafetySteve!

Roland, here is an interesting video I found.  Interesting lessons from a company that manages 640k employee laptops.

Only the first 55 minutes is relevant.  But there are some really interesting lessons in here.

#45 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:46 AM

Bookmarked the URL for later viewing, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users