Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my hacker friend installed something called "longhorn" boot manager on my laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tonibologna007

tonibologna007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:27 PM

please help me find out what else he has done, i sense he has the ability  to control my laptop and see what i see..help me figure out what is on my laptop.. PLEASE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:59 PM

turn off wifi, press windows key + R, type rstrui, choose a restore date to before this started happening

#3 boooliyooo

boooliyooo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:10 AM

Hello,

For safety measures, paste something over your webcam in case your friend does anything unethical...

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:43 PM

Longhorn is the codename for an unreleased Windows version, I have absolutely no idea why he would install that next to your current installation... restoring your installation won't change this, though it may undo any other changes he has made to your system.

To remove this you will need to reset your boot loader and delete a possible Longhorn installation partition using a partition manager. It's a pain to have to do, I think you should be having stern words with your "friend". You certainly shouldn't be letting him anywhere near your machine again.

First thing to do is make sure you have your media ready. Please locate your Windows disk. If you do not have a disk follow the instructions on this link to download an image to burn to disk. You will require your Windows key to download the disk image. You can locate this by running Produkey. Please print or write down the key carefully and double check it.

When the Windows download is complete burn the ISO image to disk.

Then boot from disk. you will not be installing Windows, just using the repair tools on the disk.

Enter the details asked until you get to the page with the "install now" button in the middle of it... Do not click it

Click on "Repair Tools" in the bottom left corner

select command prompt

Enter this command

bootrec /fixmbr

then press enter.

Remove the optical disk and then restart the machine with this command

shutdown /r

Your machine should boot normally now. The possible additional installation may not removed though.

When your PC is back up open the Disk Management console by typing diskmgmt.msc at an elevated command prompt.

Please use the snipping tool to take a picture of the available partitions, upload it to an image sharing site and post it in you reply. I would hate to give you instructions to delete and essential partition, so it's better if I look at it.

How did you go?

TsVk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users