Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebuilt my son's computer that caught fire. Now it keeps crashing. MOBO? PSU?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mattkeeler

mattkeeler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

A few weeks ago, my son's computer caught fire and melted the HDD. We were able to save everything (we think). So last night, my son and I rebuilt my computer yesterday into a new case, and everything was working smoothly. After using it for a couple of hours, though, it shut off on its own. After rebooting it, it did the same thing after a few minutes. After starting it from this point, it would remain powered on for about 2 seconds before turning off before cycling and repeating the process on its own. After waiting overnight, it's currently working (I'm typing this post on it right now and going on 30 minutes) While building it, I discovered that I had an issue with a bad stick of RAM that gave me the same result, but that doesn't seem to be the issue again. I tried booting it without any drives or RAM in and also without my graphics card, but it had the same issue. Again, everything seems to be working now, so I'm not sure why it shut down before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:20 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

2 hours - reboot - few minutes - reboot - few seconds - reboot - and repeat few seconds.

This strongly suggests thermal overload and automatic shutdown of the CPU. When you rebuilt the computer did you -

1  Clean the CPU heatsink fins carefully ?

2  Clean the heatsink and CPU mating surfaces carefully and use new thermal paste ?

3  Check that the CPU fan is still running   ?

Having re-read your post I realise I missed the 'automatically' part. It will do no harm to check that you did do the three steps above but a thermal shutdown will not normally result in an automatic re-start, this sounds more like a software problem. If the problem continues please post back with the main specs on this computer and what OS you are running.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users