Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:08 PM

I reinstalled my Lenovo Ideacentre K450 to factory. All went wwell except I was not getting a wireless network connection, went to Device Manage and saw a program "wan miniport (network adapter) was onop.
Tried updating the driver,no good, googled the problem and was told to uninstall it (by 3 different sources), then to click on the Computer name and click changes made and I did so, still no wireless connection. I am using my network adapter to connect, without it threre is no connection. I do not see any wireless network adapters in Device Manager. Any help appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

Does the Wifi adapter appear in Device Manager after installing the chipset drivers? Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to any devices in Device Manager.

If after installing the chipset drivers no Wifi adapter is present in Device Manager it's possible the wifi card has failed. The chipset is a Realtek RTL8188EE according to this page. The chipset is not common and is not on Realtek's home page. It's looks like a chipset specifically made for OEM's, HP being one of the OEM's. You may want to pull the card and attach it again. Pull the power, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Ground yourself on some bare metal of the case before attempting to pull the card.

You can either check the card by booting a live linux disk like Mint or purchase a USB Wifi dongle. Because it's a desktop you can purchase a dongle with antenna for better coverage.

#3 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

Does the Wifi adapter appear in Device Manager after installing the chipset drivers? Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to any devices in Device Manager.

If after installing the chipset drivers no Wifi adapter is present in Device Manager it's possible the wifi card has failed. The chipset is a Realtek RTL8188EE according to this page. The chipset is not common and is not on Realtek's home page. It's looks like a chipset specifically made for OEM's, HP being one of the OEM's. You may want to pull the card and attach it again. Pull the power, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Ground yourself on some bare metal of the case before attempting to pull the card.

You can either check the card by booting a live linux disk like Mint or purchase a USB Wifi dongle. Because it's a desktop you can purchase a dongle with antenna for better coverage.

Thanks for the reply, tried, did not work. No yellow exclamation marks. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Then I would either try the live linux disk which may require that you disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings or try the USB dongle. 

Linux Mint Cinnamon

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users