Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Windows for first time

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

Friends i need to ask a few questions since i am reinstalling windows for first time. My questions are:

I bought my laptop with preinstalled windows 8, since i never received any CD (it was present from my parents), and i am with UEFI bios system (Dell inspiron 5523 Ultrabook), i believe the CD key is planted on the motherboard. I remember that the guy from the store told me to use Dell's backup and recovery, but did not listened att all i still store everything in C: . Now i want to download windows from my other laptop (becuase i fear this dell was physically compromised), and reinstall it through flash.

1. My windows was originally 8, i later updated it to 8.1, but in the microsoft site i only find Windows 8.1 for download? Will my cd work for windows 8.1, and since its directly on the motherboard, do i need to do anything or it will happen on its own?

2, When i download the windows, do i simply drag it to the flash?

3. I need to make my laptop boot from USB first, i belive this option is somewhere in the UEFI section, can someone guide me how to do that?

4. I do not want to save any files, i want to wipe absolutely everything for security measures, so do i need to to some special custom installing?

Thanks for the time :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

dc3 thanks for the quick response :) But my machine was compromised, won't it be better to use another copy of Windows downloaded from another machine?

#4 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

Also, when i go to Remove everything and reinstall Windows, i did that already, buy it only reseted my windows to factory settings. Do you  have any idea why? Do i need to create any recovery image first ?

#5 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

There is this option Advanced Startup, that requires Restrat, then it says it will allow me to boot from other (USB CD)and to make changes to firmware settings as other similar stuff.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Once you have created the installation disc you will need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the optical drive is the first device in the order, and hdd is the second.

There is good tutorial for performing a Reset.  This will delete all of your files and reinstall Windows 8.1.  You can find the instructions here.

After you see the Choose an option you will see two options, Reset and Refresh.  Click/tap on Reset and follow the instructions there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

Ok, great info dc3, thanks. I will preform the installation in the coming days, i will post in here if anything else comes out :)  So there is no problem to download Windows 8.1 if my original Windows was just Windows 8 (The cd key will work)?

Edited by resertedlab, 16 October 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:35 AM

In your first post you stated that you originally had Windows 8 and then upgraded to 8.1.  This means that you now have Widows 8.1 and should have no problems downloading the ISO file.

#9 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:22 AM

Yea but last week i had reset and delete everything and i am back to windows 8, ever since windows made many updates and asked me to update to 8.1 directly. Shall i update to 8.1 and then reinstall, what do you suggest?

Edited by resertedlab, 17 October 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

You must have the 8.1 update in order to download the ISO file, so yes.

#11 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:02 AM

Ok dc3 thanks for your support, just one last question because i fear not to make mistake - do i need to download the windows iso file from the same laptop i will install it to or can i download it from my other laptop? (security measures)

Edited by resertedlab, 17 October 2016 - 10:03 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

If both computer have the same version of Windows 8.1 installed it doesn't matter which one is used.  Example of version Windows 8.1 64-bit or 32-bit, or Windows 8.1 Pro 65-bit or 32-bit.

#13 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:58 PM

Yes, both are 64-bit and both with 8.1 (once i update this laptop).

So after i update the machine, i will enter the UEFI(bios), i will place the optical drive as first, hdd as second in the boot oder, than i shut down the laptop, plug the flash with the fresh copy, downloaded from the other laptop, and follow the instructions ;)

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

Both are 8.1, but are the both Windows 8.1 or 8.1 Pro.  Are both 64-bit?

If you have your installation media on a flash drive then you need to make the USB device the first item in the boot order.  You would use the optical driver if the medias was a disc.

#15 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:16 PM

I dont think they are pro, i checked how to recognize if the windows is pro and it says when you check the pc info it should spell Windows 8.1 pro, if it's the normal home edition it will only spell Windows 8.1, is there other method to find out? Both laptops were bought for home use and both were with preinstalled windows, but i dont think we keep the original boxes they were bought with (back then i didn't knew anything at all, i just used to open the laptop and work) Both are 64 bit though

So i will need to set usb first, does it matter how the rest boot options will be placed or the frist counts only?

Edited by resertedlab, 17 October 2016 - 02:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users