Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chatice

Chatice

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

I have been using Mozilla Firefox as my browser. Recently I downloaded the Firefox Beta update and since then I have lost Internet Explorer. At the same time I seem to have lost the link between MS Word to Blogger.com, which had been available before the update.

Can anyone tell me how to recover Internet Explorer? I have a Sony Vaio desktop PC, which came with the Sony proprietary Recovery CD for the applications, and not the original Windows XP CD. It has been a while since I used it (probably before Service Pack 2 was installed) and am reluctant to use it, as it had given me trouble before when I tried to reinstall an application.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hi Chatice , do you mean you have lost the shortcut to Internet Explorer. If you click on start > search > all files and folders and type in Internet Explorer then click search , your PC will find all the files related to IE . By clicking on them you will find one that opens your browser. Now all you have to do is right click the file and choose "send to" > desktop.

If you wish to undo both the problems that you have , try a system restore to a time before you installed the FireFox beta update.

Apologies Chatice , i didn't notice the part of the post that said "the page cannot be displayed". :thumbsup: This makes my first suggestion null and void , but the system restore option is still a way of getting things back to how they were.

Edited by FifeFlyer, 22 August 2006 - 12:06 PM.

#3 Chatice

Chatice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:56 PM

<<If you wish to undo both the problems that you have , try a system restore to a time before you installed the FireFox beta update.>>

Thanks for the suggestion,Fifeflyer, but unfortunately that does not work. My system restore points are all after the FireFox Beta update.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

When you say you lost Internet Explorer do you mean that it opens but won't connect to the internet or can you not find either the desktop icon or the entry for it in your programs menu?

#5 Chatice

Chatice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:19 AM

I have both the desktop icon for Internet Explorer and the entry for it in the programs menu. When I click on either one, I get the following message, even though I am connected to the Internet and can use Firefox or Netscape. I just cannot get Internet Explorer to open.

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

Here is a repair for IExplorer

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm

#7 Chatice

Chatice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

Thanks, all. IExplorer has been restored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users