Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual boot win 7/win xp went wrong - computer doesn't boot

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 wwdwgs

wwdwgs

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

I screwed up the computer and this is how I did it:

1-  Installed win 7 with all programs I needed

2-  installed win XP on a separate partition in hopes to install other programs and "make computer faster". Installed with option to keep existing setting (both partitions were NTSF).l ater I thought that I should have chosen "format (quick)". but.. that was later...

3-  computer booted in XP only and i couldn't access another separate HHD (as a file storage).no boot in Win 7.

4 - panicked and cursed for a while.

5-  using BCD boot loader editor I saw "windows 7" on a list and added "windows XP" to this list.

6-  I didn't pray..

7-  restarted and computer and saw this - I said something like a missing/corrupted BOOT.INI file and It did not boot at all. It kept restarting endlessly.

8-  I inserted either win xp or win 7 installation disk into cd drive in order to re-install them - no luck at all. I unplugged C drive, plugged a new (fresh) one, now I see "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot drive and press a key"

9-  I should have prayed in step #6

9a.-  I cleared motherboard "settings"with a jumper on it (asus - 3 prong jumper) - no change in computer's behavior.

10-  obviously, I need your help, guys, in order to revive my computer.

Please help.

mb - Asus M3A7B-T

CPU - AMD Phenom 4 940

Edited by wwdwgs, 16 October 2016 - 10:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:17 AM

First, did you actually try to reinstall the OS's? How far did you get into the reinstall because you may have wiped the data on the disk. Is there data on the disk you need to recover?

#3 wwdwgs

wwdwgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

The re-installation did not start at all:

first, during boot, it said bad/corrupted BOOT.ini.

I unplugged the main C HHD and installed blank, thinking that I could use cd with either win xp or win & to re-install OS on a "new" HHD.

In bios, the old HHD was still listed, so I put CD drive first in boot sequence.

Then I had "reboot and select proper boot...."message.

That's where i"m now....

The data on C drive is contains usual data (downloaded pictures, music and the like) not the important stuff. the important files are on "storage" , but THAT hard drive was not accessible under XP. (while it was running.)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

You will need an internet connection to use the Boot Repair CD and it would be best if the computer with the problem is connected via Ethernet.

Download the Boot Repair CD and burn it to disk. You can burn the CD on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image.

Boot the disk and select Recommended Repair. It will go through the required steps and may take awhile. If it does not solve the problem then we will try to repair Windows 7 boot manager manually but it may remove XP's ability to boot.

#5 wwdwgs

wwdwgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:49 PM

thanks. burning boot repair cd... will post results as soon as I'll be able to.

update:

burnt a cd, inserted it into the cd drive, rebooted, computer keeps rebooting with ïnvalid BOOT.ini file ...booting from c:/windows/. and again - splash screen, error message, reboot, splash scree, error message etc.

Edited by wwdwgs, 16 October 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#6 wwdwgs

wwdwgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

update:

burnt a cd, inserted it into the cd drive, rebooted, computer keeps rebooting with ïnvalid BOOT.ini file ...booting from c:/windows/. and again - splash screen, error message, reboot, splash scree, error message etc.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

Are you saying the CD did not boot to the recommended repair screen? Make sure your CD is the first boot device in your BIOS settings. The ASUS motherboard may have a boot menu accessed by tapping a key at boot where you can select your boot device. I am not sure what it is for your motherboard though.

#8 wwdwgs

wwdwgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:14 PM

update,

rechecked bios boot load sequence - it was wrong - I set CD drive first

rebooted - got boot-repair-disk splash screen...pressed ënglish"and chose " 64 bit session"

#9 wwdwgs

wwdwgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

update:

not good - error message disappeared, but computer keeps rebooting endlessly.

let's see if we can fix it manually.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

First lets try doing it with the Windows 7 install disk. Boot your Windows 7 install disk. At the screen that has the Repair Computer select the link. Select Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts before the repair is complete. Do not continue if after three attempts the computer is not repaired.

#11 wwdwgs

wwdwgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

won''t work - I tried.

I have öld" vista disk, i could try that. the only thing - it's older than win 7 and it may shatter inside, as It has cracks at the center hole.

I could try Vista, but what will happen to my "regular"files from win7 installation (regular - from my documents folder, my pictures, etc)?

Edited by wwdwgs, 16 October 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

What happens when you try to boot the Windows 7 install disk? We need it to do a manual fix. Vista will not do.

#13 wwdwgs

wwdwgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

the  computer keeps rebooting - splash screen, black blank screen, splash screen, etc.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

It may be a sign that the install media itself is bad. If you know someone who has a Windows 7 install disk use it or you can have them create a Windows 7 System Repair Disk which will do the same thing.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff621489.aspx

#15 wwdwgs

wwdwgs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:52 PM

I can copy files from "storage" hhd to flash using ubuntu disk////

and//// maybe install ubuntu, and/// then, try to install win xp back and win 7 after that.

what do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users