Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Yet another Windows Update conundrum !!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slime58

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

Hi guys

I've been trawling through similar threads but cannot find a solution to my problem!

I have Vista Home Premium SP2 and use Firefox.

Windows searches for updates for over 36 hours without finding any.

I went to the often recommended http://wu.krelay.de/en/ page and try to download the Vista updates that I'm missing.

All I get is the Windows Update Standalone Installer which I've had running for over 24 hours ........................ and it's still found nothing!!

What can I now do?

I've also run the Tweaking.com utility, all to no avail.

If I wasn't bald I'd be pulling my hair out!!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Slime58, 16 October 2016 - 07:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

Hi Slime58:

Please see post # 153 and post # 154 in KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates" for a possible workaround for installing your October 2016 Patch Tuesday updates.  These instructions are based on Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ but include additional hints if you have problems following Dalai's instructions.

If a Windows Update session is already running in the background when you try to install the standalone update packages (.msu  files) the installer will get stuck at "Checking for updates...".  If you disable automatic Windows Updates ([Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot your computer (the re-boot is important) before running these .msu installers they should run to completion in a few minutes and prompt you to restart your computer to finish the installation.

32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.1 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 18 October 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#3 cafejose

• Members
  • 921 posts
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

I have recently found some success using both the information on wu.krelay.de/en page for the suggesed speed-up updates, and this other page which seems to not be searchable any longer through search engines:

That one allows you to look at listings of MS updates mostly according to date, and find documentation to see if the update is for Vista, Vista sp2, or other specific indications if it is for the operating system of interest.  Identify the updates believe needed, and download the individual standalone installer for each update, one at a time.

There is also the Microsoft Security Bulletin that you might use instead.

When you have all the standalone update installers that you believe you need, do as Imacri says.  My process seems to be Turn off Windows Update (Never Check...) , shutdown/restart computer; run each of your update installers one by one in numerical order of KB number with Restart after each update.  

I am just not willing to keep the computer on for 5 or 6 hours waiting for Windows Update to find and announce the availability of updates, WHEN WINDOW UPDATE IS TURNED ON.

Edited by cafejose, 18 October 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#4 cafejose

• Members
  • 921 posts
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

...About post #3 here,  sometimes patience pays.  A similar computer where I am was given the two  October speedup updates indicated on the Dalai page for Vista sp2 x86, and then I tried a manual Check For Updates.  After an hour and a quarter, Windows Update found 18 available updates, and so download and install of these through Windows Update took about 40 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users