Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Code 0xc0000005

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 vivienne

vivienne

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:48 AM

I did a Ccleaner scan after receiving a message to say I had the Zeus Virus and ring Microsoft which I didnt do as it said on the internet it would be a scam. I did a Malmarebytes scan and deleted four PUP.Optional.spigot and a scan with AVG Anti-Virus didnt find anything. After the Ccleaner scan I found I couldnt download any programmes as I was trying to download Emisoft and AdwCleaner in case the other programmes had missed anything and Flash Player as I needed it to check my internet speed as it is so slow and wont always let me access a website and my email doesnt always download. I did a Ccleaner scan of the Registry as I thought that could solve the problem and Saved a Registry Restore. However, I am now in a worse position because I cannot now open any programmes as it gives Error Code 0xc0000005 although I can open them in Safe Mode and my files are still there. I dont know whether the problems I have had are because of Ccleaner and would appreciate it if you could give me any advice why I struggle using the internet now and also what I can do about the error code. I saved the reference for a Registry Restore but I thought I would just click on a restore point in Ccleaner and it would do it but it doesnt show my restore reference, only Windows Updates. The saved file I open is just a lot of text which I dont know what to do with. Sorry to ramble on!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Codesee

The_Codesee

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

Try restoring the registry backup that you saved: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/322756

Note: Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of registry cleaners as they can do more harm than good!

Edited by The_Codesee, 16 October 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

There may be many reasons to get this error message, but most probably is damaged Windows files, file association problem or problem with the registry.
I should to use Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager and and first of all Repair Center, but also all other tools are very useful.
If You don't have activation key, use trial, it is fully functional without any restrictions.
Homepage, Download page:

#4 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

You are so right Codesee, I am in a real mess now. Won't be back now until late evening. Had a quick look but didn't know which of the 5 items to select and not sure I will know what to do anyway as my brain doesn't work as good as it used to! Will have a look at the programme suggested by Kaljukass but don't know anything about it. Having to reply on my tablet as email being awkward on computer.

#5 The_Codesee

The_Codesee

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:05 AM

Is there any chance you could show me a picture of the five items so I could help you choose?

Also, I'm sketchy of the program suggested by Kaljukass, as "system tweakers/optimizers" often can cause damage and are designed to trick you into paying - I would hold off before running it.

Edited by The_Codesee, 16 October 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:18 AM

There may be many reasons to get this error message, but most probably is damaged Windows files, file association problem or problem with the registry.
I should to use Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager and and first of all Repair Center, but also all other tools are very useful.
If You don't have activation key, use trial, it is fully functional without any restrictions.
Homepage, Download page:

BC does not support the use of "registry cleaners/optimizers" on any version of Windows.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#7 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

Also, I'm sketchy of the program suggested by Kaljukass, as "system tweakers" often can cause damage and are designed to trick you into paying - I would hold off before running it.

I'm really sorry, if you don't know, what it is. But if you do not want, that someone may get help, then so be it.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

1. I'm really sorry, if you don't know, what it is.

2. But if you do not want, that someone may get help, then so be it.

1. All anyone needs to do is to Google Yamicsoft Windows Manager to learn that this software contains a registry cleaner and is optimization software which you have already been informed are types of software which Bleeping Computer does not support the use of.  It is well known that these types of software can create more problems than what they are suppose to correct.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

2. No one has implied or suggested that no one wants to help the vivienne, the fact of the matter is that good suggestions (aside from yours) have been made which can help resolve the issue.  What you are suggestion can create more problems compounding the issue which already exist.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

@vivienne

You posted that after running the registry cleaner in CCleaner your problems worsened.  If the registry was damaged by the registry cleaner you may wish to do a Last Known Good Configuration which is found in the Advanced Boot Options.  Windows 7 saves a image of the last time Windows booted successfully, this is the Last Known Good Configuration.

last%20knwon%20good%20configuration_zpsx

Edited by dc3, 16 October 2016 - 12:18 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:28 AM

Was optimisic that last known configuration would work but still the same. Had only read first part of restore instructions which was about making a restore point. Scrolled further down to read about finding the restore file and did that and it said it had been added but then said click open but I couldn't see anything that said open. It gave a list of 5 items. All started with HKEY and then Classes Root, Current User, Local Machine, Users Current Config. What can I do now? Woke at 6 am with computers on my mind! I am hoping I won't have to have it reformated as I had that done last year and don't want to have to go through putting everything on again. The person who reformated for me put Ccleaner on!

#11 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

Yippee!! Well, I hope everything is all right now. I went to Repair Computer from Safe Mode and selected Restore and clicked on automatic restore point but it said it had failed. I tried again clicking on Windows Update restore point which was dated last week I think and it also said it had failed so I was really disappointed but when I restarted the computer  I could access my programmes and also the internet. I did a scan with AVG and it found a Generic Virus which it removed which it hadn't found the other day so maybe just managed to find a way in.  I live in hope now that the computer will continue working all right.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:49 AM

Because AVG found a virus I'm going to suggest that you run the following scans to determine if there are any other infections or malware.  The tools used to run these scans can not be run in the Windows forums, for this reason I will request that you topic be moved to the Am I infected forum.  If no other virus or malware is found you can ask a Moderator to reopen you topic in the Windows 7 forum.

Please run Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  You will see an image like the one below, click on Update Now.  

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

3)  Click on Settings, you will see a image like the one below.

malware%20settings_zpsixkea5sd.png

When Settings opens click on Detection and Protection, then under Non-Malware Protection, click on the down arrow for PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) detections and select Treat detections as malware.  Under Detection Options place a check in the box for Scan for rootkits

4)  Click on Scan (next to Settings), then click on Scan Now.  The scan will automatically run now.

5)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

malwarenew_zps34b58fdc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log in your topic.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive the following message.

adwcleaner%20111_zpsiduqrrrp.png  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

The log for the TDSSKiller can be very long.  If you go to the bottom of the log to where you find Scan finished you will see the results of the scan.  If it shows Detected object count: 0 and Actual detected object count: 0, this means that nothing malicious was found and you will not need to post the log.

1.  Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

tdss1_zps90132559.png

2.  Check Loaded Modules, Verify Driver Digital Signature, and Detect TDLFS file system.

If you are asked to reboot because an "Extended Monitoring Driver is required" please click Reboot now.

tdsskillermultiple_zps472c18eb.png

3.  Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run.

tdss4_zps6792a13c.png

4.  If threats are detected select Cure (if available) for all of them unless otherwise instructed.

***Do NOT select Delete!

Click on Continue.

tdss5_zps98fc5887.png

5.  Click on Reboot computer.

Please copy the TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt file found in your root directory (typically c:\) and paste it into your next reply.

Note:  The log may be very long.  You may need to break it into parts to post the whole log.

Post this in your topic.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to allow this to run
till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need
to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

ESET Online Scanner

• Click here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.
  • Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that
    here
  • Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

Edited by dc3, 17 October 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#13 boooliyooo

boooliyooo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

Hello,

I suggest you to do it one by one for the scan...

#14 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

I had downloaded Malmarebytes as a trial but it had gone with the restore so downloaded it again and it found the PUP.Optional.spigot again which  have been deleted. Didn't want to spend anything yet on a programme so downloaded Spybot which gets reasonable reviews and is free and if I find it all right I will make a donation. Not too keen on downloading a lot of others so I will see how I go on now. Thanks for advice given. Hope I don't need you all again!

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:14 PM

Spybot Search and Destroy at one time was a good program.  But they have not kept up with the times.  You would be much better off with Malwarebytes AntiMalware.

The programs I requested are free downloads, you need to run these.  You will not know if you are infected or not until you run these scans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users