Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need recommendation for AV

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DeadlySkullz

DeadlySkullz

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:53 PM

I have always been using MBAM for few years. My Anti virus is Windows defender.

Should I go with ESET NOD32 Anti Virus, Emsisoft Anti-Malware or BitDefender? And will I need MBAM?

If u have other recommendation please feel free to tell me.

Edited by DeadlySkullz, 16 October 2016 - 12:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:22 AM

If you were considering a free alternative, I would say that Windows Defender is just as good as any other without bundled toolbars, nagging pop-ups, etc.

Here are links to some related discussion topics:

Here are links to BC polls:

However, an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:56 AM

You should get Kaspersky or bitdefender,and keep MBAM.

That is my advice. :notme:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:08 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is just a stand-alone scanner which offers advanced malware detection and removal...it does not provide any real-time protection and therefore, it cannot be used to block or prevent malware infection.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristics scanning technology to monitor your system, prevent access to and from known malicious webpages, and prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source...it is not free but it is worth the investment.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users