Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting from HDD even when only SDD is enabled in boot sequence

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leicke

Leicke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

Hi,
I have an Optiplex 7010 with an SDD running Windows 7.
I then installed a pre-owned HDD that was supposed to be the secondary drive but no matter what I try the computer will always boot from the HDD or not boot at all.
SDD is on SATA0, CD/DVD is on SATA1 and HDD is on SATA2.
Boot mode is set to Legacy and boot sequence shows only the SDD enabled (see pictures attached).
If I disable the HDD/SATA2 SDD takes over and boots Windows 7 from the SDD.
If I disable the HDD/SATA0,the HDD takes over and boots Windows 7 from the HDD.
If I leave both enabled and mark only the SDD as a boot option, then the screen goes black with a mixed color line at the top (see picture).
BIOS has already been upgraded to the latest version available at Dell support site.
Back in the old days there were switches or jumpers to setup but guess this became history long ago.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:45 PM

If I had to hazard a guess the HDD still has a boot loader on the disk. You need to delete the boot loader on the HDD.

Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso to disk and boot with both drive attached and enabled. Is there a 100MB System Reserved Partition on the HDD? If there is then delete the partition. If you do not see a 100MB partition on the drive and only a single partition then check to make sure the partition is not Active. If it is then mark it inactive.

All steps are virtual and will not complete until you click Apply. This lets you back out of any steps if there is an error.

Edit: This is assuming you did not install the OS to the SSD when the HDD was attached. If you did then I would not delete the partition on the HDD.

Edit: Edit: Marking the 100MB System Reserved Partition as inactive would provide the same result as deleting it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 October 2016 - 07:49 PM.

#3 Leicke

Leicke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:57 PM

Hi, took me several attempts to make it work but finally got rid of the partitions on the 2nd disk. For some reason BIOS options were not taking effect after saving so whenever turning a disk on or off or enablif USB boot i had to shutdown and restart before the system would update the list of disks/devices. Had to use Rufus to make usb bootable as the windows tool wouldnt recognize the ISO. Then once i got the USB boot going the Menu file was outdated so had to repeat allowing rufus to update the image. Last was partition manager that wounldnt let me create a new partition on the disk so had to reboot with Win 7 and use the disk manager tool to create a new partition. Quite a few bumps along the way but finally resolved. Thanks for the tip on mini partition wizard!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

Your Welcome

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users