Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble updating after fresh install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:42 PM

Brand new HDD and fresh install of win7.  I have windows update set to "never", and have IE11 installed since I heard that was a prerequisite to some of this. 

I have seen several threads with different instructions saying "you must follow this exactly" and others that said they followed it, and still no updates. 

This is the second attempt on installing win7, the first on a HDD that "may" have been bad.  But the first attempt was this instructions here,

>Go to this page http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-09.htm and Install manually the updates listed there in order, that apply to your Windows
- If any of the updates says it's already installed simply Cancel and move on to the next Update;
Notes: from poster
- After installing each update if you get a prompt to restart the computer choose No until you install the last update on the list

I got through the first 3 of these and on the third, the computer would just hang up.  Yes, updates were set to "never".  Then changed the HDD. 

After HDD install, I followed the instructions on this page below but got stuck on no5. 

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-for-installing-updating-windows-7-sp1.1176121/

When I downloaded and tried to install the IE11 update I got "searching THIS computer for updates".  Windows updater was set to "never". 

I also see some references to simply installing an April and July rollup update manually, then going to update windows.   So what is the best way? 

Thanks,

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:51 AM

Did you reboot after setting Win Updates to 'never search' ? (you need to)

#3 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

Yes, of course. 

#4 Bambinoo

Bambinoo

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

"After HDD install, I followed the instructions on this page below but got stuck on no5. 

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-for-installing-updating-windows-7-sp1.1176121/

When I downloaded and tried to install the IE11 update I got "searching THIS computer for updates".  Windows updater was set to "never". 

I also see some references to simply installing an April and July rollup update manually, then going to update windows.   So what is the best way?"

@bizman123

I have had good success with this method after a fresh or "bare metal" install.

I believe that your problem  "searching THIS computer for updates" relates to the Windows Update Service running. So really it is two steps: set Windows Update to "never", and disable the Windows Update Service. Then install the manual updates per the link.

Edited by Bambinoo, 16 October 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#5 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:45 PM

Ok, sufficiently confused now. 

How do you disable windows update service if it's not setting windows update to never and rebooting? 

I didn't realize they were two separate things, and only know how to do the "never" then rebooting. 

Kevin

#6 Bambinoo

Bambinoo

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

Click the start orb and search "services"..the easiest way to do it. Select "services" (should be at the top).

Scroll down to the item, double click, and stop it, then set the "startup type" to disabled. Reboot!!

If you are still confused please let me know.

Edited by Bambinoo, 16 October 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#7 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Checked this.  It was stopped.   But the startup type said delayed, so I put this on disabled, and will reboot. 

Let you know how it goes. 

Kevin

#8 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:56 PM

Well stopping the WUS allowed me to install the win7 update, but then I couldn't install it, Kept getting error 0x80070422 and realized I had to turn it back on for it to install. 

Installed KB3020369, and KB3172605 and let it rip.  Seems to be working now.  it downloaded 210 updates, and is now completing #52 out of that 210.  So hopefully they all go to completion without issues.  Then I can get on to working on the video card, and some security software. 

Kevin

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:18 AM

FWIW:  The steps you went through...are pretty much the same ones I used earlier yesterday to resolve my WU situation.

Louis

#10 Bambinoo

Bambinoo

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Glad to hear guys.

This sure is a frustrating mess MS has gotten us into!

For the record, there is no "definitive" method that works for everyone, or in the same way, but I've had the best luck with this approach recently for fresh installs. I'm sure that will change.

Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users