Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ransomware scanner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 artician

artician

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

EDIT- I should have put this in the Malware forum.  Any mods able to move my thread?

Does a reliable scanner exist for ransomware?

I don't like applications sitting in the background on my machine, such as anti-virus "real-time protection".  Just wondering if it's even possible.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 15 October 2016 - 09:21 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

I know of several that offer protection but they do run in the background like AV and are specific for ransomware. This is how they protect you: by running in the background to monitor system activity in real time.

If you mean a scanner that will remove ransomware after the fact, there are a few that are available for a few specific strains of ransomware.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:16 AM

Why do you dislike applications sitting in the background on my machine? If you want to be protected from ransomware then that's one of the few ways that it can be done. If something does not sit in the background, as you say, it cannot protect you when you run a malicious file. Anything else is only reactive after the file has already done it's work.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 artician

artician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:49 PM

Thank you for the replies.  That's kind of what I was afraid of.

I don't let programs run in the background because I don't trust them.  I believe most software manufacturers distribute their software for free, in exchange for data mining your computer, and I don't accept that.

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

Out of curiosity, what operating system do you run?

There was a report done on what antiviruses send what, you can find it here.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:46 PM

Your right. In some cases opting out of the mining may be possible.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/avc_datasending_2014_en.pdf

#7 artician

artician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

Thank you for sharing that!  I've been a privacy advocate for a long time, and I'm really glad someone cared enough to look into this.  I've tried to research what software is sending what on my machine (because I often don't have a choice when installing things I need for work), and I reached a point where it's just too draining to keep up with technology and tools.  I would really like to live my life instead of becoming an IT professional, so my desire for privacy has instead turned into a paranoia over the years that is really harmful to my happiness and productivity.

Thank you very much for sharing this.

#8 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

Read through the EULA before continuing with a install. If you look around you can always find similar alternatives to software that may work better for you.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:58 PM

For the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections, see my comments (Post #2) in this topic...Ransomware Avoidance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users