Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Cabling Woes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigalxyz

bigalxyz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

Hello forum,

While putting new floors in, I thought I'd take the opportunity to run some ethernet cables around my home. It's not working...

I bought a 30m length of cat 6 cable, cut lengths of it. I then connected the ends of the lengths to wall face plates (remove the outer sheath, strip away the shielding and then fit to face plate using one of those punch down tools). Then connected up.

For example:

Modem/router -> cable -> first face plate -> cat 6 cable along hallway -> second face plate in bedroom -> cable -> laptop

Nothing happens. Dead.

If I connect directly ie

Modem/router -> cable -> laptop

It works perfectly.

So something is going wrong but I'm not sure what.

Can anyone help please? I've ordered a gadget from eBay which tests connections but it hasn't arrived yet. Just wondering if there's some obvious schoolboy error I've made somewhere.

Thanks,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:51 AM

Hello, Alan!

Be aware before reading this that I am not super knowledgeable about wiring networks and such, and so you may want someone else to confirm what I am saying. Also, I'm not sure that I'll have anything else beyond this post, since I don't generally do things with wired networks.

Anyway, did you run the cat 6 cable near electrical wires? I have heard previously that the electrical wires will interfere with data cables. I then found this page, and #4 talks about not running electrical wires and data cables parallel to each other, and gives an explanation of why that happens. So, that is what I would think might cause the disruption in the signal, though I'm sure there are also other possibilities.

Again, you may want another user to confirm this, but that is what I have heard in the past. And if you didn't run the cables parallel to electrical cables, then I'm not really sure of other possibilities, but the page I referenced above may give you something useful.

Sasschary

#3 bigalxyz

bigalxyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hello, Alan!

Be aware before reading this that I am not super knowledgeable about wiring networks and such, and so you may want someone else to confirm what I am saying. Also, I'm not sure that I'll have anything else beyond this post, since I don't generally do things with wired networks.

Anyway, did you run the cat 6 cable near electrical wires? I have heard previously that the electrical wires will interfere with data cables. I then found this page, and #4 talks about not running electrical wires and data cables parallel to each other, and gives an explanation of why that happens. So, that is what I would think might cause the disruption in the signal, though I'm sure there are also other possibilities.

Again, you may want another user to confirm this, but that is what I have heard in the past. And if you didn't run the cables parallel to electrical cables, then I'm not really sure of other possibilities, but the page I referenced above may give you something useful.

Sasschary

Thank you. At one end of the cat 6 cable it's close to a 240V socket, but from there the electrical wires go in a different direction. The cat 6 cable is about 12 metres long and I don't believe it's close to any other electrical wires along its length, no.

Alan.

#4 bigalxyz

bigalxyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

Update - testing device arrived in the post. Shows zero connectivity on ANY of the 8 wires! I can only imagine that there's a problem with the wall plates - either I haven't wired them properly or they're otherwise faulty.

#5 bigalxyz

bigalxyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

Update - testing device arrived in the post. Shows zero connectivity on ANY of the 8 wires! I can only imagine that there's a problem with the wall plates - either I haven't wired them properly or they're otherwise faulty.

I've had a closer look and I don't think the plastic coating on the wires has been cut properly by the punch down tool. It looks to me like the wires are very very thin and not suitable for going in this kind of connector. I might look for a thicker, better quality cable and try that instead. I did wonder about trying to solder the wires but they're very thin and everything is packed very close together - I doubt I have the skill to do a good job of it.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

Modem/router -> cable -> first face plate -> cat 6 cable along hallway -> second face plate in bedroom -> cable -> laptop

wacky way of wiring.  hallway cable shouldn't go to a faceplate.  should be home run from router to bedroom face plate.

you would test where the 1st break is in the pattern

Modem/router -> cable -> first face plate -> cable -> laptop

what wiring standard did you use A or B?

#7 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

To add to this I know it matters if you have solid or stranded cable, there are different RJ45 terminations.

Here is a pretty good rundown of the difference of the terminations

http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/catalog_page/2K9M1_040%20Premium%20Modular%20Plugs.pdf

Hope this helps!

utl8q0-5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users