Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New CPU advice needed!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thewildgerkin

thewildgerkin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:23 AM

Hi all,

Can someone advise me on a good CPU match for my desktop.

I want to upgrade from my current setup but not sure what is a good CPU to go with my graphics card.

Here are my current specs:

Processor:                 AMD Athlon X4 740 Quad Core Processor

Speed:                       3.2 GHz

Number of Cores:       4

RAM:                          8 GB (DDR3)

Video Card:                AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

Manufacturer:             ATI

Dedicated Memory:    2.0 GB

Thanks!

Edited by thewildgerkin, 15 October 2016 - 05:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

Without changing motherboard, you cannot get much better CPU.

#3 thewildgerkin

thewildgerkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

Ok.... Why is that exactly? Could you please explain :)

Edited by thewildgerkin, 15 October 2016 - 07:16 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:17 PM

Ok.... Why is that exactly? Could you please explain :)

There's no better CPU's (to be more precise: no fast enough CPU to make upgrade reasonable) available for Socket FM2. So you'll need new motherboard if want to upgrade CPU.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

Your current CPU is FM2 based, so there may be a better CPU available for it.  To get a clearer image of what you can and cannot upgrade, we need to know the model of your motherboard.  The post from hamluis above will show you how.  Keep in mind that Drillingmachine is right, you're not going to get AMD FX levels of performance out of your current motherboard since it doesn't support high-performance CPU's, such as the AMD FX-8000 series.

3939.png

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:51 AM

Best FM2 CPU is A10-6800K (4.1 GHz base, 4.4 GHz turbo).

As current CPU is 3.2 GHz base 3.7 GHz turbo, that's not really worth upgrade.

Even if motherboard supports FM2+ CPU's, upgrading is hardly worth it considering prices.

#8 thewildgerkin

thewildgerkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:52 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/g8qNEJq1XYZcai4yNQxwpA1

#9 thewildgerkin

thewildgerkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the tips guiys.

Are there any other compatibility problems within my specs?

I want to know how I can make my system run better because i am fed up with overloading my cpu and running at high temperatures while running games at mid-low settings  :ranting:

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

CPU cooler is stock one? If yes, replace with something better.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

Your current motherboard supports the A10-6800K, but as mentioned earlier, the upgrade would be minor.  This is the highest end CPU your motherboard allows.  To get any more performance in the CPU, you will need to change your motherboard to an AMD FX compatible one or a board that supports Intel's latest CPU's.  This would be a major upgrade and expensive, plus, with AMD releasing their Zen CPU's next year, you may want to wait until they are out. 

Before replacing your CPU cooler, make sure it is clear of dust and the vents on your PC case are clear as well.  If that still doesn't solve your overheating issues, then consider upgrading your CPU cooler to something better.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users