Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about downloading Win10 again from free upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DPtheGod

DPtheGod

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:01 AM

Hey guys.

So I had to replace my motherboard in my HP laptop which had an OEM Win7 installed. In July, I downloaded the free Win10 upgrade because why not? However, after my first reboot my laptop was stuck in limbo on a black screen where it was hanging and loading windows files as slow as the sloth speaks in zootopia! 10 mins or so went by and it barely made progress. I rolled back to Win7 because of it.

Anyway, my understanding is I need to reinstall windows due to having a new motherboard, even though I ordered the same model number :( I don't own a retail Win7 key, and would really rather not dish out $100 for it :( So, if a Win10 would no longer give me those issues, I'd settle.

My question is, since my OEM Win7 was upgraded for free, can I still access the Win10 license I got?

Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:40 PM

If the replacement motherboard is identical, you should be able to get the Windows 10 installation to work.  However it may have something burried in the new motherboard's identification somewhere, that you'd need to talk to Microsoft about to get it to work.  Usually when I've had to call them, they've been helpful about getting you over the bumps in the road.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users