Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Port not recognizing external Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:45 PM

I am not sure if this is hardware or software issue.

One of my USB drive is not recognizing my Western Digital external hard drive.

I have to plug the external drive cable into the other side of my laptop in the combination SATA/USB socket.

The USB drive in question works with other things like headphones.

For example--today I plugged the drive cable into the uncooperative socket. The Unlocker for the WD drive showed briefly. Since the WD external drive is password protected and Unlocked drive opens first, asks for the password, then the file drive will open.  I put in the password into the Unlocker drive.  The Unlocker drive disappeared but the file drive, which should appear afterward failed to appear.  There was nothing in Windows Explorer on the left file tree showing the WD drive was even present, although it was plugged in.

Then I plugged the WD external drive cable into the other socket and it worked normally.

Suggestions for fixing this appreciated. 

specs:

Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Sony Vaio

Dual Boot configuration with Linux on the other partition.

The internal HDD has 500 GB total split between the two OS's.

RAM - 6 GB

CPU - Intel Core i7 Q740 1.73 GHz

Let me know if anymore specs are needed.

Edited by Achaemenid, 14 October 2016 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

Changed title to "USB port" from "USB drive", the drive connects to the USB port/connector.

Louis

#3 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

Changed title to "USB port" from "USB drive", the drive connects to the USB port/connector.

Louis

Ok, we've got this nomenclature issue out of the way. Thanks.

This WD drive has a rather strange way of shutting down its file drive while keeping the Unlocker open even in the port that it works in.

Does this difference between drive and port have a material bearing on this problem?

Or since this external WD drive is about 5 years old, is it just time to get a new one before my data is inaccessible?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

I don't know wht makes you think that changing the drive...will resolve your problem...unless you already know that the drive is dysfunctional.

Have you tried the drive on any other system?  Doing so will isolate the problem...right now, it appears to be a tossup between Windows/the system/the drive.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2016 - 06:40 AM.

#5 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:15 AM

I don't know wht makes you think that changing the drive...will resolve your problem...unless you already know that the drive is dysfunctional.

Wht makes you think I think that?

Have you tried the drive on any other system?  Doing so will isolate the problem...right now, it appears to be a toosup between Windows/the system/the drive

I have tried the drive on an XP machine. At first the system could not find the drive, then it could.

I am just perplexed that this drive works through one port but not another.

Are there any diagnostics I can use to isolate the problem?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

If the port works for any other USB device...no other device has problems with that port...I have to conclude that the port is not the problem, the system is not the problem.  Are you sure that is the case?

If so...then the problem may be the WD drive itself or the case containing the external drive...or the cable from the external drive to the USB port.  I would run the WD diagnostic on the drive.  If that goes smoothly (diagnostic immediately recognizes drive and diagnostic indicates that drive passes diagnostic...then I would be confused.

Data Lifeguard For Windows

I would run the long/extended test.

Louis

#7 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for responding.

If the port works for any other USB device...no other device has problems with that port...I have to conclude that the port is not the problem, the system is not the problem.  Are you sure that is the case?

I just asked my computer repair guy here about this. He says the dedicated USB port (on the right side) does not have enough power for the external drive (2TB). He said the other port (SATA + USB) on the left side is the stronger port and that is why it can handle the external drive.

If so...then the problem may be the WD drive itself or the case containing the external drive...or the cable from the external drive to the USB port.  I would run the WD diagnostic on the drive.  If that goes smoothly (diagnostic immediately recognizes drive and diagnostic indicates that drive passes diagnostic...then I would be confused.

Data Lifeguard For Windows

I would run the long/extended test.

Louis

I recently ran the extended WD diagnostic test. It found no problems, either with the external drive or with my internal HDD.

It seems I may have to try the ext drive with another cable in the dedicated USB port. The cable I am using came with the WD drive.

Edited by Achaemenid, 25 October 2016 - 02:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users