Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is how to access the Boot Menu?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:12 PM

Windows 10 computers and Windows Vista computers, different - Not just the operating system.  

How do access the Boot Menu, or the Boot Device Menu when startup?  One is supposed to watch for the computer brand name logo at computer startup, and press either F2 key, or F12 key, and these I have tried, but neither of the menus are the Boot Menu.  One of them is a text screen with tabs and another is a UEFI menu.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:43 PM

And since your computer has Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) your boot menu is part of it, as it is on all UEFI machines.

See the post I did entitled, UEFI Boot Example from HP 15 Series Laptop, to get a sense of what you'll be looking for.  There are slight differences in UEFI, just like there were in straight BIOS, but the similarities are stronger than the differences.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:11 AM

You have referred to that posting of yours, about UEFI, before.  The answer then seems, If a computer uses UEFI, NO BOOT MENU is available.  The user must change his settings, because the Windows 8 or 10 computer has no Boot Menu for making the boot device selection each time he starts the computer.  

Imagine this morning, I want to start the computer and choose to boot to a bootable usb flash drive.  Later in the morning, I want to startup the computer fresh, and choose to boot to a live CD or DVD.   Maybe I find one day something is wrong with Windows and I cannot let computer boot into Windows, so I want the boot menu so I can boot into something other than the main root drive, like into some bootable CD, usb flash drive, or something other than "C" drive. 

I guess then the only answer is, go into one of the F2 or F12 menus at startup, change some boot priority order settings, and then startup the computer again.

In case helpful,   I have Dell Inspiron, Windows 10, and Dell support has not been too easy to understand and will not say specifically what to do.    Meanwhile I will look at your posting one more time in case I actually actually  learn something about this.

Edited by cafejose, 15 October 2016 - 12:12 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:51 AM

cafejose,

You've answered your own question in your last post.   Not every computer had a straight boot options menu reachable by function key at bootup.  Having to get to the boot menu via UEFI is a couple of key presses more.  This is not a function that the average user, or even support professionals, need to get to with any frequency.  A couple of extra key presses is simply no big deal.

If one goes into either old-fashioned BIOS, a dedicated boot menu, or UEFI at machine startup that's in the boot process before any search for a boot device takes place, so if you change the boot order you need not restart but can simply let the machine continue to boot from there using the boot order you just set.

Boot options are in your UEFI menu, you find them, and you make a note of where for when you next need it.

Edited by britechguy, 15 October 2016 - 07:53 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:22 PM

I see you have a Dell.  I have a 10 month old Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop with UEFI, and to get to the UEFI setup, I press the DEL key when powering up.  Yours could be different, but it should be documented in your user guide.  If you look under Start -> Dell, there're a number of Dell related things there.  If you can't find what you're looking for there, Dell's web site should have all your model's documentation.  For example my model has the following:  Owner's Guide, Reference Guide, Service Manual, and two Setup Guides.  Also when I boot, it displays a list of buttons I can press to get into various things, one of which is the UEFI setup.

And just to dispel some folklore, it won't give you leprosy to read this Dell documentation.   :hysterical:  

Edited by Niweg, 15 October 2016 - 12:34 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users