Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 49 will not support CPUs that do not have the SSE2 extension

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:30 PM

This may have already been posted but I just wanted to bring it up again as I was doing a clean install of XP and ran into the issue. My CPU is one of the older Athlon XP's that does not have the SSE2 extension. Firefox 49 will not support these CPU's. Therefore you will be open to possible security vulnerabilities that are found in future releases of Firefox. Chrome dropped support for these CPU's months ago. The extended support release can still be downloaded that supports these CPUs but support will end in March 2017.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/your-hardware-no-longer-supported

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2016 - 06:38 PM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

To add to what John has posted....From the web:

SSE2 was introduced into Intel chips with the Pentium 4 in 2001 and AMD processors in 2003. Most computers produced in the last several years are equipped with SSE2. If you are unsure about your particular computer, you can determine SSE2 support by:

Windows: A free download, CPU-Z, is available from CPUID that will indicate if SSE2 is present on your system or not.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

OS X: All Intel Macs are equipped with SSE2

Linux: From a terminal, run “cat /proc/cpuinfo”. “sse2” will be listed as one of the “flags” if SSE2 is available.

Hey John...looks like you may have a museum quality/ eligible computer. :)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:44 PM

To add to what John has posted....From the web:

SSE2 was introduced into Intel chips with the Pentium 4 in 2001 and AMD processors in 2003. Most computers produced in the last several years are equipped with SSE2. If you are unsure about your particular computer, you can determine SSE2 support by:

Windows: A free download, CPU-Z, is available from CPUID that will indicate if SSE2 is present on your system or not.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

OS X: All Intel Macs are equipped with SSE2

Linux: From a terminal, run “cat /proc/cpuinfo”. “sse2” will be listed as one of the “flags” if SSE2 is available.

Hey John...looks like you may have a museum quality/ eligible computer. :)

It's an old emachines T3065 from about 2002. I have a cobbled gateway tower with an old 486 motherboard running Windows 98SE. It's built like a tank. Not my PC but like the one in the image.

gateway%202000.jpg

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

I saw this a few days ago when Firefox wouldn't start after updating. The updater doesn't make sure the computer meets the minimum requirements. I also still use an Athlon XP, but I primarily run Ubuntu (minimal install - almost Lubuntu) on it. The Linux version of Firefox doesn't require SSE2 yet.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

Just an update. Firefox on Ubuntu successfully updated to 49 on my Athlon CPU with no SSE2 extension. This is a dual boot system with XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users