Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Windows 7 Updating issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

Hey everyone! Sorry for beating the proverbial dead horse, but I have not found a solution that works for this particular update issue. I did a clean install of Windows 7 on a friend's computer. The specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

AMD Athlon II x2 255 3.10GHz

Installed RAM: 2GB (1.75 usable)

I know the amount of RAM installed is barely sufficient. The computer originally had 4GB, but one module was bad and I didn't have any spare PC3 memory laying around. I'll address this issue once I get the updates squared away. Anyway, like so many other posts, the computer will never stop searching for updates. I left it for several days, and it just kept searching. I have updated to IE11, and I have installed .NET 4.6.whatever they're up to now. I tried to do the manual April 2016 rollup, and thought I was getting somewhere. I managed to get the precursor update to install (kb3020369). Then when I went to install the rollup, it initialized and said it was installing. But the installation bar never progressed and it appeared to do nothing once it switched to "Installing". I ran the automatic troubleshooter, and it gave me error 0x80080005 and said it was "Not Fixed". I ran it several times, and actually got it to say it was fixed. I ran it again just to make sure, and it came back as "Not Fixed" again. I tried to reset the Windows Update components manually, and I tried the Microsoft Fixit 50202 on normal AND aggressive modes. I have run the system file checker, and the system update readiness checker. At this point, I'm not sure what else to try. If anybody could give me a hand please let me know.

I know that somebody will want to see logs, but I'm not sure which ones you'll need. Please let me know, and I'll upload them as soon as I can. Thank you in advance for your time!

slycer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi,

The Windows Update problem is a know one created by Microsoft... the following is the solution that worked for me in more than one occasion.

- First Disable Automatic Updates:
Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change settings > select "Never check for updates"
- Restart the computer
- Go to this page http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-09.htm and Install manually the updates listed there in order, that apply to your Windows
- If any of the updates says it's already installed simply Cancel and move on to the next Update;

Notes:
- After installing each update if you get a prompt to restart the computer choose No until you install the last update on the list
- IMPORTANT: After installing each update you need to Stop the Windows Update Service if you don't do this the install will get stuck searching for updates...

• press Windows7_key_R2.pngand type services.msc
  • locate Windows Update on the list of services, right click on it and click Stop

After installing the updates and restart the computer open the Control Panel -> Windows Update and search for updates, let it run for some time until it lists the updates that you need to install

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I just wanted to follow up and say that I did each step as you outlined, and my computer is still searching for updates. It has been for a little over two hours now. I'm not sure what the deal is here. I always thought Windows 7 was a stable platform, but I wonder now if this is Microsoft's way of getting people to abandon it for Windows 10. Seems kinda shady to me. I'll keep letting this search for updates, but in the meantime if there are any other suggestions I would love to hear them. Thank you again for your assistance SleepyDude.

#4 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:39 PM

UPDATE: I finally got it fixed. I installed the April 2016 Rollup last night, but the installation froze and never gave me an indication that it did, actually, complete the installation. Today, I installed the July 2016 Rollup, and once I restarted and checked for updates, it finally found almost 70 of them in about 15 minutes. Thanks for all of you that read my post. Thanks SleepyDude for the suggestions. Have a great night everyone!

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the update. :thumbup2:

The July 2016 Rollup would be my next suggestion because there has been some rumors that the Rollup finally it makes WU work was it should be.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users