Hey everyone! Sorry for beating the proverbial dead horse, but I have not found a solution that works for this particular update issue. I did a clean install of Windows 7 on a friend's computer. The specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
AMD Athlon II x2 255 3.10GHz
Installed RAM: 2GB (1.75 usable)
I know the amount of RAM installed is barely sufficient. The computer originally had 4GB, but one module was bad and I didn't have any spare PC3 memory laying around. I'll address this issue once I get the updates squared away. Anyway, like so many other posts, the computer will never stop searching for updates. I left it for several days, and it just kept searching. I have updated to IE11, and I have installed .NET 4.6.whatever they're up to now. I tried to do the manual April 2016 rollup, and thought I was getting somewhere. I managed to get the precursor update to install (kb3020369). Then when I went to install the rollup, it initialized and said it was installing. But the installation bar never progressed and it appeared to do nothing once it switched to "Installing". I ran the automatic troubleshooter, and it gave me error 0x80080005 and said it was "Not Fixed". I ran it several times, and actually got it to say it was fixed. I ran it again just to make sure, and it came back as "Not Fixed" again. I tried to reset the Windows Update components manually, and I tried the Microsoft Fixit 50202 on normal AND aggressive modes. I have run the system file checker, and the system update readiness checker. At this point, I'm not sure what else to try. If anybody could give me a hand please let me know.
I know that somebody will want to see logs, but I'm not sure which ones you'll need. Please let me know, and I'll upload them as soon as I can. Thank you in advance for your time!